Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I park my car with wheels straightened ?

1. Jan 19, 2013 #1
    Some people park their cars with wheels turned and other do not. I myself like the straight wheels while parking. But technically, are there any problems if I park not straight ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2013 #2
    It's important if you are parking up or down hill.

4. Jan 19, 2013 #3
    Just remember what direction your wheels are pointed when you start driving again.

5. Jan 19, 2013 #4

drizzle

Gold Member

Isn't it enough to look at them before getting in the car?
    :biggrin: :tongue:

I'm learning stuff, thanks Greg.

6. Jan 19, 2013 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Remember you want to turn your wheels so that if the car rolls, it rolls into the curb, not into the road. Parking downhill, tires toward the curb, uphill, tires away from the curb.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/parking.htm

7. Jan 19, 2013 #6
    What if you're on a flat, level surface? Doesn't neatness count anymore?

8. Jan 19, 2013 #7
    That's what they taught us in driver's ed. It's mainly just so that, if your brakes give out, or your car is hit, it doesn't go flying off into the middle of the road, but goes into the curb.

9. Jan 19, 2013 #8

russ_watters

My car actually warns me if they are not.

10. Jan 19, 2013 #9
    Recently I had the pleasure of parking my car on Stewart St. right in front of Pike Place Market in Seattle. If you know that area, you know that there is a relatively steep hill between 1st St and the market. I parked there with my wheel pointed to the curb and nothing eventful happened. The guy in front of me parked with the wheels straight and nothing eventful happened to his car either. The car was a rental from an agency in the Seattle area so I guess that's why there was a special device on the driver's side for straightening out the wheels.

11. Jan 19, 2013 #10

Evo

Lol, was it big and round and between you and the dashboard?

12. Jan 19, 2013 #11
    You're a lucky guesser.

13. Jan 19, 2013 #12
    Strangely this rages me almost as much as electric handbrakes. Anyone not being able to tell if their steering wheel isn't straight by one full turn should have their driving licence thrown on a fire.

Then again I still leave my car in gear on a hill.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  14. Jan 19, 2013 #13

russ_watters

Yeah, about that...

15. Jan 19, 2013 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Around here, we don't have "curbs" unless you wander off to the big cities. We have ditches and (in season) snowbanks. It's possible to make rational choices, but some of those are seasonal and not universal.

16. Jan 20, 2013 #15
    When they get that talking lady on GPS ( she already blabs about going over the speed limit ) to tell you whether your wheels are correctly pointed in or out , then we have made it as a species.

17. Jan 20, 2013 #16

Borek

Some cars always roll into the curb.

Ask Drizzle.

18. Jan 20, 2013 #17

Borek

I leave it always this way, slope or not.

But then I drive a stick.

19. Jan 20, 2013 #18

Pythagorean

Gold Member

That should be fairly simple. An accelerometer will tell you if the nose of the car is pointed up or down, and a feedback system can tell the car where the wheels are relative to straight. You only have nine possible cases (if you include straight wheels and flat parking spot) and can handle each accordingly.

20. Jan 20, 2013 #19

drizzle

Gold Member

That is temporarily true. :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook