What Masters Degree Should I Pursue as a Biology Major to Advance My Career?

In summary, the individual is currently working in manufacturing for big pharma and has a biology degree. They are not satisfied with their job and are studying for the PCAT to get into pharmacy. They are also considering pursuing a masters degree in public health with a focus on biostatistics, or in engineering (specifically industrial, electrical, or bioengineering). They have a GPA of 3.45 and have taken some basic courses in programming and calculus. They are interested in pursuing a career in validation science but feel lost and frustrated with their current job and salary. They are seeking suggestions and are open to relocation for their studies.
andromedian
hello!
So i have been working in manufacturing (aseptic processing) big pharma for more than a year now. I have a biology degree. I am 26 to 27 next month.

I do not like it at all, since I feel like I am in some ways at the bottom of the food chain. Least payed, little advancement and permatemp. But I am making at least some good money and experience so I will endure more time in it.

I am studying for the pcat to get into pharmacy next year but I am not so sure of my chances tho I will try anyways.

so I need plan B, I was thinking of doing a masters in something, but I cannot decide.

My options are: masters in public health with biostatistcs, engineering (industrial, electrical, bioengeneering).

I want to advance my career, hopefully use my experience to get a better position in validation science or something, though I rather not be in manufacturing setting. But I kinda feel lost as to where to look and what to do now. I feel kinda frustrated seeing how many other graduates start making 60k and I am here making half of that. But I guess I am here trying to change that. Any suggestions would be apreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Insufficient info. Likes and dislikes? GPA in undergrad? Ranking of BS institution? Geographical constraints?

I agree with @Dr. Courtney here. We really do need more info on your particular background.

In addition to the questions @Dr. Courtney posed earlier, you had asked about an option to pursue a masters in biostatistics. What is your background in math or statistics in undergrad? How comfortable are you in programming/coding? Same question regarding industrial engineering (math and stats knowledge is very important in that field).

What math you are taking? OP?

Sorry for the late response had a busy day! So GPA: 3.45, I studied at public college here in puerto rico. I have family in Florida so I can relocate if needed.
I took until calculus I so I know I need more math. I self taught calculus II. (I am pretty good at math and I like it but I was stupid to not take more advanced courses)
I took some basic courses of python and C++ and I really liked programming though I have only graced the surface.
My undergrad BS revolved around getting all the reqs necessary to get into pharma so it leans heavily towards biology and general stuff of other areas.
One of my favorite courses was statistics. I was really good at it too. Also all my chems and physics. I guess anything that has to do with numbers I like, which is why I am looking for options in these fields.

andromedian said:
Sorry for the late response had a busy day! So GPA: 3.45, I studied at public college here in puerto rico. I have family in Florida so I can relocate if needed.
I took until calculus I so I know I need more math. I self taught calculus II. (I am pretty good at math and I like it but I was stupid to not take more advanced courses)
I took some basic courses of python and C++ and I really liked programming though I have only graced the surface.
My undergrad BS revolved around getting all the reqs necessary to get into pharma so it leans heavily towards biology and general stuff of other areas.
One of my favorite courses was statistics. I was really good at it too. Also all my chems and physics. I guess anything that has to do with numbers I like, which is why I am looking for options in these fields.

The fact that you enjoy statistics (combined with your background in biology, as well as your exposure to programming) is a good start when it comes to applying for graduate studies in biostatistics. I think the only concern I might have is that you have not formally taken a course in calculus II (nor have you mentioned whether you have taken a course in linear algebra), which tend to be prerequisites for applying to many biostatistics graduate programs.

What I would suggest you do is to contact some individual schools that offer masters programs in biostatistics, mention your interest as well as your background, and ask whether your background is sufficient. Some schools do accept people of your background on a provisional basis on condition that you take certain courses (in your case, likely calculus II, possibly linear algebra) from their school.

Of course, the other option would be to see if you're able to take actual courses in calculus II and linear algebra at another local public college (whether in Puerto Rico or in Florida) while still working at your day job.

Best of luck to you!

Likes andromedian
well I am taking calculus II this semester. there is also a masters in bioengeering but they were asking me specifically that course. Sadly in PR no school offers bio statistics. The only one is the masters in public health bio statistics specialty.

What can I do with a Biology major?

There are many career options available for those with a Biology major. Some popular choices include working in research, healthcare, education, or environmental science. You can also pursue graduate studies or apply your knowledge to non-traditional fields such as science writing or policy making.

Why do I feel stuck in my life as a Biology major?

Feeling stuck in your life as a Biology major is a common experience. It may be due to a lack of clarity on your career goals or feeling overwhelmed by the many options available. It is important to seek guidance from a career counselor or mentor to help you explore your interests and identify potential career paths.

Can I switch to a different major if I am unhappy with Biology?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a different major if you are unhappy with Biology. However, it is important to carefully consider your reasons for wanting to switch and research the requirements and job opportunities of the new major. Meet with an academic advisor to discuss your options and create a plan for a smooth transition.

Are there any skills I can develop as a Biology major that are transferable to other fields?

Yes, there are many skills that you can develop as a Biology major that are transferable to other fields. These include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, communication, and teamwork. These skills are highly valued in many industries and can make you a competitive candidate for a variety of jobs.

Is it too late to change my career path if I have already graduated with a Biology degree?

No, it is never too late to change your career path. Many people switch careers multiple times throughout their lives. Your Biology degree can still be valuable as it demonstrates your ability to think critically and acquire technical skills. Consider pursuing additional education or training in your desired field to make a successful transition.