Should i rethink engineering or repeat classes

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of rethinking a career in engineering due to a B in calculus and a current CGPA of 2.73. The person asking the question is also considering retaking some classes and is asked about their desired specialization and job within engineering, as well as the cause of the lower grade. The responder mentions that a B in calculus may not be a hindrance in all areas of engineering and suggests working harder to improve the overall GPA. Ultimately, the decision to pursue engineering should be based on the individual's interests and goals.
phyEngineer
Hello,

Should I rethink engineering if I am pulling a B in calculus? and My CGPA will be 2.73 at the end of this term.

OR

Should I repeat some of the classes that I did not do well in?

Physics news on Phys.org
What type of engineer do you want to be and what concentration within it? What exactly do you want to do for your job within that concentration? Why is a B in calculus possibly bad in your mind? What are the other classes you are considering retaking? What was the cause of the lower than wanted grade?

These are important questions, because not all tasks associated with engineering demand the same levels from certain skill sets, which includes calculus. I know people who struggled their entire way through engineering, finishing with a 3.0ish GPA. They're hired now and get paid. So basically a B is fine and your GPA is probably fine. You just need to start working harder to bump it up above a 3.0 (out of 4.0). If you have the right answers to all these questions, I don't see why you should reconsider engineering.

Last edited:

1. Should I rethink my decision to pursue engineering?

It ultimately depends on your personal interests and abilities. If you are truly passionate about engineering and have a strong aptitude for it, then it may be worth continuing. However, if you consistently struggle in engineering courses and have little interest in the field, it may be worth considering other career paths.

2. Will repeating classes affect my chances of success in engineering?

Repeating classes can actually have a positive impact on your success in engineering. It allows you to strengthen your understanding of important concepts and improve your grades. Employers also value perseverance and determination, which are traits that can be demonstrated through repeating classes.

3. How will repeating classes affect my GPA?

Repeating classes can have both positive and negative effects on your GPA. If you improve your grades by repeating a class, your GPA will likely increase. However, if you do not perform well in the repeated class, it may lower your GPA. It's important to weigh the potential impact on your GPA before deciding to repeat a class.

4. Is it worth the extra time and money to repeat classes?

This depends on your individual circumstances. If repeating a class will significantly improve your understanding of important concepts and ultimately help you succeed in your engineering career, then it may be worth the extra time and money. However, if you have other options available, it's important to consider those as well.

5. Can I still be successful in engineering if I choose not to repeat classes?

Yes, it is possible to be successful in engineering without repeating classes. However, it's important to ensure that you have a strong understanding of important concepts and are able to apply them in your future studies and career. If you feel that repeating a class will help you achieve this, then it may be worth considering.