Should I take calc 3 and differential equations or EE 254 and EGR 265

In summary, the person is asking for advice on which courses to take as an electrical engineering major. They have the option of taking both MA 227 and MA 252 or EGR 265 and EE 254. The person providing the input suggests taking the courses that will be most useful, and suggests considering EGR 265 and EE 254 if they cover the same subject in a more practical way.
adaxial
I hope I am putting this in the right thread. It seemed to be the most appropriate one!

So, I have two choices. I can take both MA 227(Calculus III) and MA 252 (differential equations) or take both EGR 254 and EGR 254. Which do you think would be the easiest option? I am an electrical engineering major.

EE 254. Applied Numerical Methods. 3 Hours.

Selected mathematical and computational topics appropriate to the numerical solution of engineering problems.

EGR 265. Math Tools for Engineering Problem Solving. 4 Hours.

Designed to allow engineering majors to utilize the terminology and problem-solving approaches inherent to engineering, while completing their mathematical preparation. This course is equivalent to MA 227 and MA 252.

Thank you for the input!

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, you shouldn't go with the "easiest" of the two, but instead take the one that will be the most useful. Therefore, I guess taking EGR 265 and EE 254 would be great, if you're sure that it covers the same subject, but in a more practical way. But if you like some more "theoretical" approach you could try taking Calc III and Differential Equations.

1. Should I take calc 3 and differential equations or EE 254 and EGR 265?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it ultimately depends on your academic and career goals. However, it is important to consider your strengths and interests in math and engineering. Calc 3 and differential equations will provide a strong foundation for future math-heavy courses, while EE 254 and EGR 265 will focus more on practical applications in electrical engineering. It may also be beneficial to consult with an academic advisor to determine which courses align with your academic and career plans.

2. Which option will be more challenging?

Both options can be challenging, as they cover different subject areas. Calc 3 and differential equations may be more challenging for those who struggle with math, while EE 254 and EGR 265 may be more difficult for those without a strong foundation in electrical engineering. It is important to assess your strengths and weaknesses and choose the option that will challenge you in a way that will help you grow and learn.

3. Will taking both courses be too much of a workload?

This ultimately depends on your individual study habits and time management skills. Both options require a significant amount of time and effort, and it may be best to focus on one set of courses at a time to ensure you are able to fully grasp the material and excel in both courses. However, if you are confident in your abilities to handle a heavy workload and have a strong interest in both subjects, taking both courses may be a feasible option.

4. Which option is more relevant to my desired career?

Again, this depends on your career goals. If you are interested in pursuing a career in a math-heavy field such as engineering or physics, calc 3 and differential equations may be more relevant. If you are interested in a career in electrical engineering, then EE 254 and EGR 265 may be more applicable. It may also be beneficial to research the job requirements and skills needed for your desired career to determine which option aligns more closely.

5. Can I take both courses simultaneously?

It is possible to take both courses at the same time, but it may be a heavy workload and require strong time management skills. It is important to consider your other courses and commitments before deciding to take both at the same time. It may also be helpful to discuss this option with your academic advisor to ensure you are able to handle the workload and succeed in both courses.