1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses How qualified would I be for EE as a math major?

1. Apr 11, 2017 #1
    I am currently a freshman majoring in electrical engineering and minoring in mathematics about to go into my sophomore year. While I enjoy the engineering aspect, I've found that what I've enjoyed most is the basic analysis in my proofs class and the basic topology my professor mentioned while discussing vector fields in Calc 3.

Since I've already registered for classes next semester, it would be too late to switch. However, I plan on pursuing an emphasis in electrical engineering. I do like the problem-solving aspect, but would also like to be able to study mathematics at a more advanced level. My plan is to take sequences in abstract algebra and real analysis, as well as classes in topics on the applied side such as computation and numerical solutions to ODEs.

I would already be taking classes in Physics 1, Physics 2, EE 201, Signals and Circuits, and Electrical Networks. How qualified would I be to work as an engineer with this program of study? If not, since I would have an extra semester, what sort of classes should I be taking in addition?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2017 #2
    Additional math courses will never be wasted in an engineering career. Just be sure that you meet and do well in all the engineering degree requirements. Then you will be ahead of the game.

4. Apr 12, 2017 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just to be clear, is your plan is to drop the EE major and switch to math? If so, there is nothing wrong with making such a switch but you shouldn't expect to be particularly qualified to work as an EE. If you really want to be qualified for an EE job, get the EE degree.

Would these three EE courses be the only ones you would take? If so, that is a weak EE background. By the way, "EE 201" means nothing to those of us who are not in your department. What does it cover?

jason

5. Apr 17, 2017 #4
    Yep.

6. Apr 21, 2017 #5
    If you're looking for math-intensive areas of Electrical Engineering, you could go into EM/Optics type of stuff or Signals and Systems, which is all math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted