1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Should I take general chemistry 1 and 2?

1. Jun 6, 2016 #1
    So I have successfully transfered to a 4 year university from a community college. I am majoring in mathematics. I have completed: Calculus 1,2,3, Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations, Introduction to Linear Algebra, Introduction to Discrete Mathematics. I have also completed introduction to mechanics and electricity and magnetism ( Freshman physics sequence).

I plan to double major in Math/Physics or Math/Aerospace engineering. My school offers a joint Phd program with Claremont Graduate University. The Phd is a Doctorate of Philosophy in Engineering and Applied Mathematics. This is something I seem interested in, if I double major in Engineering. However, physics is something I am interested in.

Anyhow, in order to double major, I must complete the last introductory physics course and 2 semesters of general chemistry.

I am definitely going to take the last introductory physics course.

My question is, should I spend time taking the 2 chemistry courses? I have never had a chemistry course. I feel comfortable with self learning mathematics, and I can study for these 2 classes and pass an examination to receive credit. Or would it be more beneficial for me to actually take the course?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2016 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jun 7, 2016 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you never had a chemistry course, then you should probably takeethe course. Chemistry is quite different from math. Not more or less difficult, just different. You're used to math now so you can predict the nuances in the texts, you can't yet do that with chemistry since you have no experience.

5. Jun 7, 2016 #4
    Thanks for the advice. Do you recommend any chemistry books? Is there such a book at this level, that makes connections with physics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted