1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Taking General Chemistry 1 and 2 at the same time

1. Jun 5, 2016 #1
    I have already taken both General Chemistry 1 and 2 at my community colleges. I did not get a good grade, but that was because of I missed a lot of homeworks and projects, but did good on the tests and I understand some of the material that I learned. In general, can you take both of them again at the same time at university level. I'm transferring at a CUNY college, but in general, are you allowed to take the chemistry sequences at the same time. I know you probably can't if you are just beginning, but If you already took them, is it possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2016 #2
    Obviously this is a question for someone at your university, but in general, Gen Chem 1 is a prerequisite for Gen Chem 2. However, if you talk to an advisor in the chemistry department you can likely get an override, as long as you didn't fail them at your community college.

4. Jun 5, 2016 #3
    Thank you. Just curious, what about at your university? Do they allow you to take them at the same time IF you took both already and passed them?

5. Jun 5, 2016 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

No. Don't do both at the same time. Learn the G. Chem 1 WELL first, no matter how the topics build or not, and when finished, do G. Chem 2 and learn this well, too.

6. Jun 6, 2016 #5
    At my undergrad university (not sure about grad), if you took it at a community college and passed it, you wouldn't have to retake it at all. I'm with symbolipoint though, if you did not learn them well, then you should follow the curriculum as ordered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted