Taking General Chemistry 1 and 2 at the same time

In summary: At my undergrad university (not sure about grad), if you took it at a community college and passed it, you wouldn't have to retake it at all.
  • #1
39
1
I have already taken both General Chemistry 1 and 2 at my community colleges. I did not get a good grade, but that was because of I missed a lot of homeworks and projects, but did good on the tests and I understand some of the material that I learned. In general, can you take both of them again at the same time at university level. I'm transferring at a CUNY college, but in general, are you allowed to take the chemistry sequences at the same time. I know you probably can't if you are just beginning, but If you already took them, is it possible?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
Ricster55 said:
I have already taken both General Chemistry 1 and 2 at my community colleges. I did not get a good grade, but that was because of I missed a lot of homeworks and projects, but did good on the tests and I understand some of the material that I learned. In general, can you take both of them again at the same time at university level. I'm transferring at a CUNY college, but in general, are you allowed to take the chemistry sequences at the same time. I know you probably can't if you are just beginning, but If you already took them, is it possible?

Obviously this is a question for someone at your university, but in general, Gen Chem 1 is a prerequisite for Gen Chem 2. However, if you talk to an advisor in the chemistry department you can likely get an override, as long as you didn't fail them at your community college.
 
  • #3
Dishsoap said:
Obviously this is a question for someone at your university, but in general, Gen Chem 1 is a prerequisite for Gen Chem 2. However, if you talk to an advisor in the chemistry department you can likely get an override, as long as you didn't fail them at your community college.

Thank you. Just curious, what about at your university? Do they allow you to take them at the same time IF you took both already and passed them?
 
  • #4
Ricster55 said:
I have already taken both General Chemistry 1 and 2 at my community colleges. I did not get a good grade, but that was because of I missed a lot of homeworks and projects, but did good on the tests and I understand some of the material that I learned. In general, can you take both of them again at the same time at university level. I'm transferring at a CUNY college, but in general, are you allowed to take the chemistry sequences at the same time. I know you probably can't if you are just beginning, but If you already took them, is it possible?
No. Don't do both at the same time. Learn the G. Chem 1 WELL first, no matter how the topics build or not, and when finished, do G. Chem 2 and learn this well, too.
 
  • Like
Likes Joshy
  • #5
Ricster55 said:
Thank you. Just curious, what about at your university? Do they allow you to take them at the same time IF you took both already and passed them?

At my undergrad university (not sure about grad), if you took it at a community college and passed it, you wouldn't have to retake it at all. I'm with symbolipoint though, if you did not learn them well, then you should follow the curriculum as ordered.
 

1. Can I take General Chemistry 1 and 2 at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to take both courses simultaneously. However, it is important to consider the workload and time commitment required for each course before making this decision.

2. What are the benefits of taking both courses at the same time?

Taking both General Chemistry 1 and 2 at the same time can save you time and allow you to complete your chemistry requirements more quickly. It can also help you build a strong foundation in chemistry by reinforcing concepts and providing a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.

3. Will taking both courses at the same time be too difficult?

This depends on your individual abilities and workload. It is important to carefully consider your other courses and commitments before deciding to take both General Chemistry 1 and 2 at the same time. It may also be helpful to consult with your academic advisor for guidance.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking both courses at the same time?

Most universities require students to have completed a high school chemistry course before enrolling in General Chemistry 1 and 2. It is also recommended to have a strong background in math, particularly algebra and trigonometry, before taking these courses.

5. Will taking both courses at the same time affect my grades?

This will depend on your ability to manage your workload and stay organized. It is important to attend all lectures and labs, complete assignments and study regularly to succeed in both courses. Additionally, some universities have policies in place that allow for grade replacement if a student retakes a course, which may be an option if necessary.

Suggested for: Taking General Chemistry 1 and 2 at the same time

Replies
2
Views
904
Replies
14
Views
918
Replies
17
Views
972
Replies
45
Views
4K
Replies
6
Views
1K
Back
Top