Should I take General Relativity?

In summary: Zz.In summary, the individual is considering taking GR as an elective for graduate school, but has no specific field of study in mind. They are seeking advice on whether it would be beneficial for graduate school applications and if it is worth taking a "high level" course. They are also considering other courses and are unsure of which would be most useful. However, it is difficult to give a definitive answer without more information about their academic performance and goals. It is recommended that the individual speaks with their academic advisor for personalized and informed advice.
rockyleg
I am thinking about taking GR as an elective,but I have no plans on going into cosmology or any related field.I wanted to know if when applying for graduate school,whether it is a positive for them to see you have taken a "high level" course,such as GR.
I know that the best thing is to have taken courses related with the subject you are applying to graduate school for,but I don't have a subject in mind,thus my confusion.
Please no advice on "if you like it" "if you can take the math" etc.
Also,experience with European universities would be preferred.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking the course to impress a comittee is about the worst reason to take a course.

Likes Logical Dog
rockyleg said:
I am thinking about taking GR as an elective,but I have no plans on going into cosmology or any related field.I wanted to know if when applying for graduate school,whether it is a positive for them to see you have taken a "high level" course,such as GR.
I know that the best thing is to have taken courses related with the subject you are applying to graduate school for,but I don't have a subject in mind,thus my confusion.
Please no advice on "if you like it" "if you can take the math" etc.
Also,experience with European universities would be preferred.

You didn't mention what you are majoring in in grad school.

It wouldn't be the only reason I'd take the course.I am interested.But if I have to choose between courses I'm equally interested in,then I'll go based on utility.

I mentioned that I haven't chosen a field of study for grad school,which is why I am asking such a general question.Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

rockyleg said:
It wouldn't be the only reason I'd take the course.I am interested.But if I have to choose between courses I'm equally interested in,then I'll go based on utility.

I mentioned that I haven't chosen a field of study for grad school,which is why I am asking such a general question.Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

What are the other courses you're thinking about?

rockyleg said:

It kind of matters.

-Dave K

Basically,I'm between picking sort of "important" general courses for the fun of it like GR,astrophysics,cosmology,in depth nuclear physics, or picking more specialized courses on subjects there is a strong chance I end up going to grad school for like all atmospheric physics courses or solid state stuff.

OK, one more time:

Have you discussed this very same thing with your academic advisor?

Zz.

Of course,but I wanted to see what other people would have to say.
I'm gathering that it really doesn't matter,so thanks!

rockyleg said:
Of course,but I wanted to see what other people would have to say.
I'm gathering that it really doesn't matter,so thanks!

It does matter, but it depends on a lot of information you haven't provided, so it's hard to come up with an answer.

-Dave K

Likes TomServo
It obviously matters depending on the subject you're applying to grad school for.
I'm saying it seems like it doesn't generally matter,say if you are going into atmospheric physics,whether you've taken GR vs quantum optics in undergrad.
On second thought,it may have been a silly question.

rockyleg said:
It obviously matters depending on the subject you're applying to grad school for.
I'm saying it seems like it doesn't generally matter,say if you are going into atmospheric physics,whether you've taken GR vs quantum optics in undergrad.
On second thought,it may have been a silly question.

It is not a silly question, but you've given us a silly scenario.

The reason why I asked if you have discussed this with your advisor is because there are OTHER surrounding information that are as relevant as what you intend to do. Here's the scenario:

rockyleg: Hi Prof. ZapperZ. I have a question. Do you think I should take the GR class?
ZapperZ: It depends, rockyleg. What do you want to do after you graduate?
rockyleg: I don't quite know yet, but I do know that I don't want to go into Cosmology or something in that area.
ZapperZ: Well then, do you have any other area of study that you are either good at, or interested in?
rockyleg: I'm not sure. That's why I'm here to ask you.
ZapperZ: Well, what about your grades at this moment? Are you doing well or are you struggling?
rockyleg: I'm [insert current performance here].
ZapperZ: OK then, do you think you are capable of handling an upper level or graduate level classes, or do you think you should be taking another advanced undergraduate course, just to make sure you don't go over your head too much? After all, you are not sure yet where you will be going. Taking another advanced class such as GR might not only be not as relevant to your future goals, but it may be unnecessarily difficult that it might affect your grades.

This is why I keep asking you, and other members who come into this forum asking the type of question, on whether you have had a sit-down conversation with someone who will have and should have a lot more information on not just about you and your academic state, but also the nature of the courses at that particular institution. These are not something a bunch of strangers on an internet forum will be privy to!

I've advised students on things like this, and I can tell you that their body language alone tells me a whole bunch of stuff that even they couldn't convey! I can sense hesitation and uncertainty despite the words the students tell me.

You have access to the best person/s who can help you find answer to such a question. Go talk to him/her/them!

Zz.

Likes nrqed and rockyleg
ZapperZ said:
It is not a silly question, but you've given us a silly scenario.

The reason why I asked if you have discussed this with your advisor is because there are OTHER surrounding information that are as relevant as what you intend to do. Here's the scenario:

rockyleg: Hi Prof. ZapperZ. I have a question. Do you think I should take the GR class?
ZapperZ: It depends, rockyleg. What do you want to do after you graduate?
rockyleg: I don't quite know yet, but I do know that I don't want to go into Cosmology or something in that area.
ZapperZ: Well then, do you have any other area of study that you are either good at, or interested in?
rockyleg: I'm not sure. That's why I'm here to ask you.
ZapperZ: Well, what about your grades at this moment? Are you doing well or are you struggling?
rockyleg: I'm [insert current performance here].
ZapperZ: OK then, do you think you are capable of handling an upper level or graduate level classes, or do you think you should be taking another advanced undergraduate course, just to make sure you don't go over your head too much? After all, you are not sure yet where you will be going. Taking another advanced class such as GR might not only be not as relevant to your future goals, but it may be unnecessarily difficult that it might affect your grades.

This is why I keep asking you, and other members who come into this forum asking the type of question, on whether you have had a sit-down conversation with someone who will have and should have a lot more information on not just about you and your academic state, but also the nature of the courses at that particular institution. These are not something a bunch of strangers on an internet forum will be privy to!

I've advised students on things like this, and I can tell you that their body language alone tells me a whole bunch of stuff that even they couldn't convey! I can sense hesitation and uncertainty despite the words the students tell me.

You have access to the best person/s who can help you find answer to such a question. Go talk to him/her/them!

Zz.
Really appreciate you taking the time to type this out.Thank you.

micromass said:
Taking the course to impress a comittee is about the worst reason to take a course.

I can think of worse! :oldbiggrin:

I can't seem to find an option to lock this thread,so if any moderator is reading...Thanks for the replies,everyone.

Likes TomServo
TomServo said:
I can think of worse! :oldbiggrin:

My entire math degree was just to impress my wife.

Likes TomServo

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes how massive objects in the universe interact and how they affect the curvature of spacetime.

2. Why should I take General Relativity?

Taking General Relativity can help you understand the fundamental principles of gravity and how it shapes the universe. It is also a crucial theory for understanding modern physics and cosmology.

3. Do I need a strong background in math and physics to take General Relativity?

Yes, a strong background in math and physics is necessary to understand the complex mathematical concepts involved in General Relativity. This includes calculus, differential equations, and classical mechanics.

4. Are there practical applications of General Relativity?

Yes, General Relativity has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, GPS technology, and gravitational wave detection. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies, such as satellite communications and global positioning systems.

5. What career opportunities are available for those who study General Relativity?

Studying General Relativity can lead to careers in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and theoretical physics. It can also open up opportunities in engineering, data science, and research positions in both academia and industry.