Should I take more Linear Algebra?

In summary: However, it's also important to understand the concepts behind the mathematics so that you can apply them to real-world problems.
jaejoon89
It looks like a lot of grad schools specify a course in linear algebra. Would a course on Linear Algebra and Differential Equations be sufficient (basically Calc iv, taken after the introductory calc sequence)? Or, would an upper-level course devoted just to linear algebra be desired on top of calc iv?

(It seems like it would involve too much "pure" math for physical science, but that's just my impression...)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My schools (UMass/GCC) offer both a combination Diff-Eq/Linear class as well as individual entry level Diff-Eq and Linear classes (along with higher level classes).

I took a 4-credit Linear Algebra class (I'm taking Diff-Eq this spring) and we couldn't cover everything in the text. I'm working on reading the rest on my own due to the usefulness of the material. We used David Lay's text.

51NVTE36FBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

EDIT: I did find the course to be fairly different from my Calculus courses. We spent a good amount of time learning vocabulary and doing proofs. Proper wording is incredibly important, as many things that sound similar are drastically different. We covered chapters 1-6, but didn't get into 7 or 8.

Last edited:
If you take linear algebra with differential equations you will most likely only see linear algebra and how it used to solve certain differential equations. However, linear algebra has many more applications and useful theorems than simply to differential equations. If I had the choice, I would pick separate courses for both.

Im at community college and it has its own 4 unit class devoted to it which I am taking right now. Very interesting class but has been very difficult for me compared to calculus.
Like Nick was saying there's a lot of vocab and I also think its a lot more abstract.

What kind of grad school (as in which major) do you intend to continue on to?

I find linear algebra very important no matter what scientific discipline you go into. My school required me to take a 200 level lin-alg class along with a separate diff-Q course. Although my lin-alg class did a very crappy job of teach since it only taught in the abstract mathematical sense which nothing applicable to the real world. Honestly, if your lin-alg classes are anything like mine your better off learning it on your own.

I find linear algebra very important no matter what scientific discipline you go into. My school required me to take a 200 level lin-alg class along with a separate diff-Q course. Although my lin-alg class did a very crappy job of teach since it only taught in the abstract mathematical sense which nothing applicable to the real world. Honestly, if your lin-alg classes are anything like mine your better off learning it on your own.

no, i think for going to mathematics grad school such a course like your "abstract mathematical" LA using maybe axler, halmos, or roman, is much much better than engineering one

if math grad school, then read axler, halmos, roman, mathwonk notes, etc., for the pure

abut yes he can also learn this on his own :D

also if maybe physical sciences, physics, etc., then you can learn a very upper algebra like representation theory, etc., for physics, quantum mechanics maybe

maybe also he will bored if engineering one

so doing is not bad idea

also maybe you can spend some time to learn MATLAB when are older, but when are older you miss the opportunity to study the pure mathematics so you can have very stsrong conceptual idea of it which is not bad idea

Last edited:
If you are studying physics, a full semesters course would be extremely helpful and necessary. I cannot think of a course in QM that would not use many of the concepts taught.

Yes, it's fun.

1. Should I take more Linear Algebra?

The decision to take more Linear Algebra depends on your goals and interests. If you are pursuing a career in a field that heavily relies on linear algebra, such as data science or engineering, taking more courses in this subject can be beneficial. It can also be useful for those interested in pursuing graduate studies in mathematics or related fields.

2. What are the benefits of taking more Linear Algebra?

Taking more Linear Algebra courses can help you develop a deeper understanding of the subject and its applications. It can also improve your problem-solving skills, logical thinking, and analytical abilities. Additionally, having a strong foundation in Linear Algebra can open up career opportunities in various industries.

3. What are the prerequisites for taking more Linear Algebra?

The prerequisites for taking more Linear Algebra courses may vary depending on the institution and level of the course. However, most universities require students to have completed a basic Algebra course before enrolling in Linear Algebra. Some may also require knowledge of Calculus and basic mathematical concepts.

4. Is Linear Algebra a difficult subject?

Linear Algebra can be a challenging subject for some students due to its abstract concepts and mathematical rigor. However, with dedication and practice, it can be mastered. It is essential to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals to excel in this subject.

5. How can I prepare for taking more Linear Algebra?

To prepare for taking more Linear Algebra courses, it is crucial to have a solid understanding of basic Algebra, including matrices, vectors, and systems of equations. It can also be helpful to review some fundamental concepts in Calculus. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help from a tutor or professor can aid in preparation.