Should I take physics as a freshman?

In summary, the individual is good at algebra and enjoys challenging math. They are unsure about taking physics as a freshman at Brooklyn Tech High School, but their previous experience with the subject was positive. Their teachers believe they are capable but recommend getting in touch with the physics teacher over the summer for advice. The individual may need to learn trigonometry and more advanced algebra before taking a calculus-based physics course. They have the option to take physics in later years and should not rush and potentially harm their grades. Some colleges require calculus before starting major courses in physics, and it is recommended to take basic courses first to ease into the subject.
gmac1356
I am pretty good at algebra and all, and i like real complicated math that makes me think really deeply... next year i would be going to brooklyn tech high school and i am not sure whether to take physics as a freshman. I took a class on physics in my middle school and really liked it and understood it. I'm the type that's really smart at math and my teachers tell me it would be hard but they think i could do it ... so any recommendations anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would see if you can get in touch with the teacher of the physics class over the summer and see if he can give you some problems from the book or see what his recommendations are. You might need certain math that you haven't taken yet to be successful.

Most first year physics courses are algebra/trig based. You will need to know some trig and a lot of algebra. If this is a calc-based course I would definitely not take it if you only have taken algebra lol. If you don't take it freshman year, you still have 3 more years to take it so don't rush and screw up your grade.

Where I from colleges make you take cal before starting on my courses for my major! Also if you are a physics major I would take basic courses first semester. I know everyone says that but believe me it makes a difference!

I highly recommend taking physics as a freshman. It is a fundamental subject that will provide you with a strong foundation for understanding the world around you. Your interest and aptitude for complicated math will serve you well in this subject. Additionally, taking physics in high school will give you a head start if you plan on pursuing a career in science or engineering. Brooklyn Tech High School is known for its strong science and math programs, so you will be in a supportive environment to tackle the challenges of physics. I encourage you to speak with your teachers and guidance counselor for their recommendations and to discuss any concerns you may have. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your own interests and goals, but I believe that taking physics as a freshman will be a valuable and rewarding experience for you.

I would highly recommend taking physics as a freshman. It sounds like you have a strong interest in the subject and a natural aptitude for math, which are both important qualities for success in physics. Taking physics as a freshman will also give you a strong foundation for future science courses and potential career paths in STEM fields.

While your teachers may have some concerns about the difficulty of the course, it is important to remember that with hard work and dedication, you can excel in any subject. Don't let their doubts discourage you from pursuing something you are passionate about. In fact, overcoming challenges and pushing yourself to learn new things is an important part of the scientific process.

Additionally, taking physics as a freshman will allow you to take more advanced courses in the subject in the future. This can give you a competitive edge when applying to colleges and pursuing your career goals.

Overall, if you have a genuine interest in physics and feel confident in your math skills, I encourage you to take the course as a freshman. It will be a rewarding and challenging experience that will set you on a path of scientific exploration and discovery.

1. What is the importance of taking physics as a freshman?

Taking physics as a freshman can provide a strong foundation for future science and engineering courses. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable in many fields. Additionally, physics is a required subject for many college majors, so taking it as a freshman can give you an advantage in planning your academic path.

2. Is it too difficult to take physics as a freshman?

Physics can be challenging, but it is not impossible to take as a freshman. With dedication and proper study habits, it can be a manageable subject. It is important to seek help from teachers or tutors if you are struggling, and to ask questions and actively participate in class.

3. Will taking physics as a freshman benefit me if I am not planning to pursue a career in science or engineering?

Yes, taking physics as a freshman can benefit students in any field. It helps to develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a better understanding of the world around us. It can also be useful for standardized tests such as the SAT and ACT.

4. Can I take advanced physics courses as a freshman?

It depends on your school's curriculum and prerequisites for advanced courses. Some schools may offer accelerated or honors physics courses for freshmen, while others may require students to complete introductory courses before moving on to more advanced levels. It is important to speak with your school counselor or physics teacher to determine the best path for you.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed in physics as a freshman?

There are many resources available to help students succeed in physics, such as textbooks, online tutorials, study groups, and tutoring services. Your teacher may also offer extra help outside of class, and it is always helpful to ask questions and actively engage in class. Additionally, practicing problems and reviewing material regularly can greatly improve your understanding and performance in physics.