Should I turn off my upstairs air conditioning during peak hours to save energy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
dkmcd55
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have a 2600 sq' home in Arizona. I have a 13 seer a/c system with two units. I havea second story of my house which is only a loft. Is is more beneficial for me to leave the thermostat off upstairs to conserve energy during the peak hours that my electric provider has from noon-7pm? Or is it better to kep my updtairs thermostat to like 85 degrees?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I'm not clear on the second option. Is that 85 degrees only during peak hours or all the time?

Generally, any setback is a positive thing. The benefits aren't always huge because if the setback is only for a few hours, you'll just spend more energy later to bring the temperature back down - but still less total energy.
 
Well what options do I have. My wife does not work and she likes it cold but I do not want to have a $500 electric bill. What options do I have?
 
Leaving the unused areas of the house at higher temps for at least a few hours should help. Also check and make sure you have good insulation in your house. Spending a few hundred dollars once can save you loads for years.