Should I work with a renowned Physics prof Being an EEE?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's interest in shifting from EEE to a more Physics-oriented field for their Masters/PhD. They have the opportunity to work with a renowned professor in Theoretical Physics, but they are unsure if it aligns with their interests. The conversation also touches on the importance of gaining research experience and the student's concerns about their mathematical background. Ultimately, they are advised to consider their interests and review their math skills before making a decision.
Rio1210
Hello,
I am currently a EEE junior year student in an International University. I am looking to shift fields to a more Physics oriented field in my Masters/Phd, something along the lines of Plasma Physics/ Optics/ Accelerator Physics etc
The thing is I have come across a quite renowned professor and I feel I have a good chance of working with him if I proceed as I have been talking with him for a while. But the catch is that he is a Mathematical Physicist and works on String Theory and stuff. He takes a good number of EEE students from top Uni here to help them switch fields and go into Theoretical Physics. But the thing is I don't want to go into "Pure Theoritical Physics" for Grad School, but more along the line I mentioned earlier, but I do want to work on the more theoretical aspects of those fields.

So would it be wise to take up this opportunity and work with him, if I do get the chance? I feel I lack the required Mathematical Background to work with him, but I hope I can make it up in time should it be afforded. I should also mention that he's by far more renowned that any Professor in our University. So I guess that working with him will also help me get a good Letter of rec. if I don't blow it up. So what should I do? I hope I am not too vague. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The point of an internship or research experience isn't necessarily to get work experience in the exact field that one is interested in pursuing post-graduation. The important part is getting experience in the general field of research and spending some time applying the concepts you've learned to the real world. It sounds like working with this professor could be a great opportunity. If there are other options available that are more to your interests, then you'll have to make that decision. I wouldn't base it solely on the reputation of the professor. Your own interests should be the main factor in deciding.

QuantumCurt said:
The point of an internship or research experience isn't necessarily to get work experience in the exact field that one is interested in pursuing post-graduation. The important part is getting experience in the general field of research and spending some time applying the concepts you've learned to the real world. It sounds like working with this professor could be a great opportunity. If there are other options available that are more to your interests, then you'll have to make that decision. I wouldn't base it solely on the reputation of the professor. Your own interests should be the main factor in deciding.

hey Thanks for the reply. You really put things in prespective for me. But one fear I have is that I wouldn't be able to cope with the rigor of Mathematics if I work with him. I am okay in Mathematics but I haven't used advanced mathematics in some time and don't know a lot of Mathematics too. So may be I should just start working and see where it leads and work on my Maths ??

How much math have you taken? How long has it been since you've taken it? It's typically assumed that undergrads aren't going to have a full repertoire of advanced mathematics under their belt. It is assumed that they'll have the capacity to learn the methods efficiently though. Given that this is a more mathematically intensive area, it's possible that the professor would prefer someone who has taken more advanced math classes. That's something you'd have to find out.

All that said, reviewing math is never a bad idea. :wink:

QuantumCurt said:
How much math have you taken? How long has it been since you've taken it? It's typically assumed that undergrads aren't going to have a full repertoire of advanced mathematics under their belt. It is assumed that they'll have the capacity to learn the methods efficiently though. Given that this is a more mathematically intensive area, it's possible that the professor would prefer someone who has taken more advanced math classes. That's something you'd have to find out.

All that said, reviewing math is never a bad idea. :wink:

It's been more than a two years since I practiced any serious maths. I've taken upto Differential Equations, Complex Numbers, Probability Theory (Random vectors and stuff), I haven't taken Multivariable calculas in depth(formally) but I get the idea and can solve some beginner problems, Fourier series & transform and Laplace Transform etc I guess you get the idea. But I think I do pick up mathematics fairly quickly, at least that's what I like to think. So what do you think?

1. Should I work with a renowned Physics professor if I am majoring in Electrical Engineering?

It depends on your specific career goals and interests. Working with a renowned Physics professor can provide you with valuable insights and opportunities in the field of research and academia. It can also enhance your understanding of fundamental principles in both physics and electrical engineering. However, if your career goals are more industry-focused, it may not be necessary to work with a renowned Physics professor.

2. How can working with a renowned Physics professor benefit my career as an Electrical Engineering major?

Working with a renowned Physics professor can provide you with the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects and publications, which can enhance your resume and make you a more competitive candidate for graduate school or industry positions. It can also provide you with valuable networking opportunities and mentorship from an expert in your field.

3. Will working with a renowned Physics professor be more challenging for an Electrical Engineering major?

It may be more challenging as you may be required to apply your knowledge of electrical engineering to the field of physics. However, it can also be a valuable learning experience and provide you with a well-rounded education. Additionally, the level of challenge will vary depending on your individual strengths and interests.

4. What should I consider before deciding to work with a renowned Physics professor as an Electrical Engineering major?

Before deciding, consider your long-term career goals and whether working with a renowned Physics professor aligns with those goals. You should also consider your personal interests and strengths, as well as your availability to commit to research projects and coursework. It may also be helpful to speak with current or past students who have worked with the professor to gain a better understanding of their teaching and mentorship style.

5. Is it necessary to work with a renowned Physics professor to have a successful career in Electrical Engineering?

No, it is not necessary. While working with a renowned Physics professor can provide you with valuable experiences and opportunities, there are many other paths to success in the field of Electrical Engineering. It is important to find opportunities that align with your interests and goals, and to continuously strive for personal and professional growth in your chosen career path.