Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should my oven be on 24/7 or not?

1. Apr 5, 2007 #1
    In my appartment I mainly use one oven for heating. This has a max capacity of 2 kW. I have calculated (roughly) that my appartment has a need for about 1.8 kW at the minumum temp of -19 C outside. Now, my question is do you immediately think that it's more economical for me to turn the oven off during the day (when I'm at work) and then turn it on when I come home, or should I have in on 24/7? This without sacrificing too much comfort due to lower temp of course...

Naturally I'm looking to have about 20 C at all times when I'm in the house, except maybe during night time. The building is mainly of concrete, and so I'm not sure how long it takes for the heat to escape, and how long it would take to bring the temp up again...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When you say oven, do you mean an oven that one uses to cook food?
  4. Apr 5, 2007 #3
    Hehe, no, that would be a stove. I'm talking about a regular heating device, like a radiator, only it's electrical.
  5. Apr 5, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

:rofl: Here, that would be called an electric heater. I was very puzzled by that, and had this strange image of the door to an oven (stove) open in an attempt to heat the apartment.

As to your question, I'm not sure. I would say that it would be more economical to turn it off when you're not in the apartment-- maybe see if there's a way to time it so it comes on an hour or so before you get home, to give chance to warm the place up. That's just a guess though!
  6. Apr 5, 2007 #5

Gold Member

Dang Norweeds and their terminology... :tongue:
    At my house (which I don't live in), we used to leave the oven door open to heat the kitchen, since there isn't a proper furnace outlet in there. Both run on natural gas, so it didn't cost any more to do it that way.
    As for an electric space heater, I agree with Cristo that a timer on the supply line would be the proper way to go. Set it to activate a half-hour or so before your arrival.
  7. Apr 5, 2007 #6
    Excellent :) It shall be done! Thx
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?