Should I leave my heater on 24/7 ?

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heater
In summary: It's probably not worth it to leave it on 24/7. In summary, it is more economical to turn the electric heater off until it is needed, as long as the apartment is well insulated. Leaving it on for extended periods of time may result in unnecessary energy usage.
TSN79
I've got an electric heater in my appartment. It's on a timer that turns it on at 1200 and off at 2300. While on it's controlled by a thermostat. My question is this; is it more economical for me to leave it on 24/7 instead of what I'm currently doing, the theory being that whatever I save during off-hours is lost to the need to re-heat the appartment when the heater is turned on again?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The most economical route would be to ensure that the apartment is well insulated. If it is insulated really well it will retain the heat better thus requiring less "re-heating", hence less energy.

But to answer your question, it seems to me that turning it off until needed (i.e. until you are home and want to be warm) would be more economical. I can't imagine it would take a lot of time to warm a normal size apartment even with poor insulation. But that will depend on your heating unit's size and the size of your apartment.

Of course if you have pets or some other reason to keep it warm while you are not there you might want to leave it on while you are gone.

Excellent! Thx for answering :) The heater is 2 kW and the apartment is 93 m2 total. It's a condo from 1972, mainly concrete. And it's the top floor. Outside it might get -15 C during the winter. Don't know if that tells you anything usefull. Thx again!

2 kW is not a lot of heat for that size apartment and that temperature.

1. Should I leave my heater on all day?

It is not necessary to leave your heater on all day. Most modern heaters have a thermostat that can regulate the temperature and turn off the heater when the desired temperature is reached. Leaving the heater on for extended periods of time can be a waste of energy and lead to higher utility bills.

2. Will leaving my heater on damage it?

Leaving your heater on for long periods of time can put unnecessary strain on the heater and lead to wear and tear. This can potentially shorten the lifespan of your heater and lead to costly repairs or replacements.

3. Is it more energy efficient to leave my heater on all the time?

No, it is not more energy efficient to leave your heater on all the time. In fact, it can be more energy efficient to turn your heater off when it is not needed and only turn it on when you need to heat up your space. Constantly running your heater can lead to higher energy bills.

4. Can leaving my heater on improve air quality?

No, leaving your heater on will not improve air quality. In fact, it can actually decrease air quality if your heater is not properly maintained. Dust and other particles can accumulate in your heater and get blown into the air when it is turned on, leading to potential respiratory issues.

5. Is it safe to leave my heater on while I am sleeping?

It is generally not recommended to leave your heater on while you are sleeping. It is safer to turn off the heater and use extra blankets or a heated mattress pad to stay warm while sleeping. Leaving your heater on can also be a fire hazard, so it is important to follow safety precautions and turn off the heater when it is not needed.