Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should teacher give a reason for refusal?

1. Yes!

28.6%
  2. No!

17.1%
  3. No, but only if his currently busy (teaching)

28.6%
  4. No (but only because he/she's in higher position than students)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. a potato

25.7%
  1. Jun 5, 2006 #1
    Heh, I fell into a silly accident, and I've done something terribly bad. For now, I don't mind to say what I did. And here's the questions: Should a teacher, tell the reason for not letting a student go to the bathroom? Or in other words, should a teacher explain the refusal of letting a student go the the bathroom? Yes or No? If you can, please explain your choice and proper reasoning. I'd appreciate any even insulting input. (but only regarding current topic) feel free to post your thoughts.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2006 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

I have no idea what a potato means, but I voted for it anyway...you seem to have alot of problems with teachers and going to the bathroom...:confused:

4. Jun 5, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I voted for no, but only if they're teaching. In other words, if you want to wait after class and ask why, then I think they can offer an explanation, but if you're interrupting class with requests to go to the bathroom, then there's no reason to disrupt it further with an explanation. No is the only answer needed.

If you keep finding you're having trouble waiting until class ends to use the restroom, you better see a doctor, because that's just not normal.

5. Jun 5, 2006 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

We need to understand what led up to the refusal. Otherwise, opinions are meaningless.

Perhaps, you've asked every single day for the last week, and each time you were allowed to leave, you never came back to class. As the teacher, I would feel no obligation to explain anything. I can think of myriad less extreme examples why a teacher would not feel obliged to explain.

On the other hand, if you really did have to go - to the point where you were about to have an accident, you would be within your rights to override the teacher's decision and ask to see the principal (after using the loo). The key is to not make a scene. Work towards defusing an altercation, rather than escalating one - that will go along way towards your vindication.

6. Jun 5, 2006 #5
    If you really have to go, then just go. I am not sure what grade you are in, but I think if you are in high school you can easily get away with just getting up and walking right out of class; at least I know I did when I was in High School.

7. Jun 5, 2006 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I voted no.

I don't think a teacher should be required to immediately provide explanation for every action taken by them. But the student certainly has the right to know about certain actions directly affecting them. So if a student asked the teacher why, the teacher would have to respond.

8. Jun 5, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That would have never flown in my high school. We were required to have a pass to be in the halls during class, and the "hall monitors" would drag you off to the principal's office if they caught you without one. But, Dave's advice does apply...if your bladder is about to burst and it's still 20 min before class ends, go to the bathroom without permission and be prepared to explain it to the principal when you're done. If you have an illness that is causing you to need to use the restroom more often than normal, get a note from your doctor or the school nurse and present it to the teacher before class so they know what's going on so you can just excuse yourself without being disruptive. But, if you're just interrupting the same class every day because you were talking to your friends in the hallway instead of using the restroom between classes when you had the chance, then learn to hold it.

If you think a teacher was unreasonable, discuss it after class or after school, or talk to the principal about it. The middle of class is not the time to debate their rules.

9. Jun 5, 2006 #8
    LOL highschool

10. Jun 5, 2006 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Well, we never had any such thing as 'hall monitors'. The first time that I ever heard of the concept was in the 'Funky Winkerbean' comic where he was sitting at a desk behind an .30 Browning. (At least, I think that's what it was supposed to be; it's hard to tell in a cartoon.) We could stroll around all we wanted as long as we weren't scheduled for a class at the time.
    Anyhow, there are a lot of factors to consider. Definitely, though, I think that the teacher should be required to explain his/her reasoning... privately after class. There's no need to persue it while others are trying to get on with things, and it's no business of the other students. If you were just uncomfortable and in the middle of a test, that's far different than being in immediate need during a study session.
    No one, teacher or otherwise, has the right to deny someone the basic human dignity of not pissing on the floor (or worse). If it's getting to that point, just go. Worry about the consequences later.
    I'm still bitter about martinet school officials from when I was in grade 4 (first time in an Ontario school), and they forced us to drink sour milk. To this day, I throw up if I taste milk of any kind. My opinion might therefore be a little biased.

11. Jun 5, 2006 #10

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I never ask for permission to go to the bathroom, that's just odd :uhh:

12. Jun 5, 2006 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Moonbear and Gokul have good points.

You have to remember though that you two are thoughtful and helpful people. Not all teachers are like this.

Some teachers may just be power tripping.

I'm not a fan of abusive authority and will rebel if authority is abused, so if you have to really go, just go.

13. Jun 5, 2006 #12
    You seem to have some odd threads my friend.............:rolleyes:

14. Jun 6, 2006 #13

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

So, how do you decide if they are abusing their power? Is it because they make a decision that you do not agree with? Is it when a decision is made that you don't understand?

15. Jun 6, 2006 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Disruptive behaviour of the learning environment is to be firmly prevented by the teacher.
    The teacher is in full rights to say "no" to that type of "requests", and to put mark on disruptive attitude if the pupil persists in his request.

16. Jun 6, 2006 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Says he with the cast-iron bladder. :rolleyes:

17. Jun 6, 2006 #16

J77

In some seriousness, the teacher should now which kids have to use the toilet without having to ask.

18. Jun 6, 2006 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

IMO, just about the only useful skill kids might get out of the present school system, IS to develop a cast-iron bladder.

19. Jun 6, 2006 #18

dav2008

Gold Member

You have the option of going every 50 mins/hour.

20. Jun 6, 2006 #19

Lisa!

Gold Member

As someone else mentioned if you really think you need to go, just go even if your teacher doesn't let you! You better ask the teacher for the permission only if you're sure he doesn't decline.(else go out and if he asks why didn't you ask him first, tell him you even didn't have time for asking...:uhh:)

Perhaps that means I don't care:zzz:, eh?

21. Jun 6, 2006 #20

Danger

Gold Member

For some, including a lot of diabetics, that's too long. Besides, this thread appears to be about a specific instance rather than a chronic occurrence. Would you want to be sitting within range of someone who got a bad enchilada at lunch?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?