Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Should the Bush tax cuts be extended?

Tags:
  1. Extend all of the Bush tax cuts permanently

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. Extend some of the Bush tax cuts permanently

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Extend some of the Bush tax cuts temporarily

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  4. Extend all of the Bush tax cuts temporarily

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Sep 5, 2010 #1
    In the midst of a recession, it is a poor idea to hike taxes, as that would be a gamble that this country should not have to take.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2010 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The plan is to allow the tax breaks to expire for the top 2% - people making over $250,000 annually. I think the top 2% of the country can live with a little less to invest in China.

Your poll isn't just a little biased, is it?

4. Sep 5, 2010 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

Where is the option for no extention of any tax cuts? Do Republican trolls PF now?

5. Sep 5, 2010 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We borrowed money from the Chinese to give the rich tax cuts...and now people want to debate if we should keep doing it?!? Sheesh.

6. Sep 5, 2010 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It gets better than that. We borrow money from China to give tax breaks to the rich, so that they can invest in China, which increases our trade deficit, which ultimately leads to more borrowing from China. Supply-side economics is reduced to a sad joke, in a global economy. The money from tax breaks for the rich doesn't trickle down, it trickles away [as a function of domestic vs foreign manufacturing].

http://www.epi.org/publications/entry/briefingpapers_fdi_fdi/

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  7. Sep 5, 2010 #6
    We should extend all tax cuts but remove the "Bush" from the name. Put a spin on it and call it "The American Tax Limit" and pass a bill that doesn't let it exceed.

8. Sep 5, 2010 #7
    Where is the option to cut taxes instead of just whether and how much to raise them?
    Obviously not, at least not the kind that favor tax cuts.
    A little? I'd say a poll on taxes with that many options, but none for reducing taxes is more than a little biased.

9. Sep 5, 2010 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Al are you kidding me? The thread is about whether extending the Bush tax cuts is a good idea, and all the options are "Extend ... the Bush tax cuts". It's not a thread about taxes in general

10. Sep 5, 2010 #9
    Are you kidding me? Using the phrase "extend Bush tax cuts" to refer to neither raising nor lowering taxes is the primary bias.

The choices, in unbiased English, are:

1. Neither raise nor lower taxes.
    2. Raise taxes some now.
    3. Raise taxes some now and some more later.
    4. Raise taxes later.

The bias is underlying, not explicit. One must be capable of thinking for themselves to recognize it.

11. Sep 5, 2010 #10

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Bush tax cuts phase out on their own. The default choice is do nothing, in which case they are not extended

12. Sep 5, 2010 #11

OmCheeto

Gold Member

That's not nice. Republican's are people too. I think.

But anyways, I agree about the missing "no extension" omission.

It's not like we can't afford it. I once again see that American's are still pocketing away nearly 3 times as much money as they did 3 years ago.
    I thought everyone was saving up for July holiday's back in June, but it appears that they were saving up for August's holidays.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  13. Sep 5, 2010 #12
    That is not exactly true. Congress is under no obligation to levy income taxes at all in future years. Considering a tax hike to be the "default" choice is absurd, even if power hungry politicians consider that the default choice.

But that's irrelevant to the fact that "extending tax cuts" used to mean neither raising nor lowering taxes is absurdly biased language. That's too easy to see to be worthy of serious discussion.

And the choices given range from leaving taxes at their current (way too oppressive) level, or raising them 3 different ways.

14. Sep 5, 2010 #13

OmCheeto

Gold Member

So.... I was correct to not vote in this poll?

There should be a fifth bar in the tally then. Those that refused to vote. :grumpy:

15. Sep 5, 2010 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not a tax hike, it's letting a tax cut expire. That's why they've been called "the Bush tax cuts" from the very beginning.

We can not afford to borrow more from China to let the rich continue to get a tax cut. We simply can not.

16. Sep 5, 2010 #15
    LOL. Nice semantics there.
    You say that as if we're referring to the government giving people money, instead of how much government should drain our economy by taxation. That kind of semantics is just absurd, even if all too common today.

17. Sep 5, 2010 #16

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I would say the tax cuts in the first place were the most absurd.

Alan Greenspan agrees with me regarding Congress and the tax cuts:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-16/greenspan-says-congress-should-let-bush-era-tax-cuts-expire-transcript-.html" [Broken]

We may not like taxes, but.....

Hiding ones head in the sand isn't going to make problems go away, nor does not paying the bill.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. Sep 5, 2010 #17

mheslep

Gold Member

Mostly - no. The US borrowed and spent far more money than was covered in the tax cuts.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  19. Sep 6, 2010 #18
    Why is "no" not an option in this poll?

20. Sep 6, 2010 #19
    the omission of the "no" option wasn't because of bias. it was because of forgetfulness. i apologize.

21. Sep 6, 2010 #20
    Really, that's one hell of an "oops". :rofl:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook