Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should we Colonize the Moon or Mars first?

1. May 12, 2015 #1
    I have reasons that have convinced me that Mars would be better, but I want to know what everybody else thinks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Why colonize either at this moment in history? Or do you mean in a few centuries?

4. May 12, 2015 #3

Evo

Why? And please post peer reviewed scientific published papers only as your sources.

And please, no one jumping in with personal opinions.

5. May 13, 2015 #4

Ryan_m_b

It would be vastly easier and more beneficial to colonise Earth more. The deserts, the ice caps, the ocean surfaces and floors, the mountains, the tundra and even underground. Figure out how to do all that whilst maintaining the biosphere and you might have some spin off technologies that would help space enthusiasts go and live elsewhere.

6. May 13, 2015 #5
    I see no reason why we would colonize either, as we understand the meaning of the word. Will we ever establish a long-term/permanent base for the purpose of scientific research, or providing mission resources, on either the moon or Mars, or both? Probably. Will we ever send settlers to the moon or Mars to establish political control, a.k.a. "colonize?" Not in the foreseeable future.

NASA is already considering using the moon to generate fuel and predeploy those, and other resources, for missions to Mars and other destinations.

In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU) Capability Roadmap - Sanders et. al., NASA Executive Summary (2005) [PDF]

7. May 13, 2015 #6

Evo

8. May 15, 2015 #7
    I'm not sure we have enough data to answer the question.

The human body suffers some serious problems in long term microgravity. We don't know what effects simply low gravity will have or how we could resolve them. It might be that low gravity combined with proper exercise (possibly under artificial gravity) would solve these issues, but we just don't know what level of low gravity is healthy. It may be that either or both are available for colonization. Or not.

9. May 15, 2015 #8

phion

Gold Member

Logically, I think we'd have to set up some kind of forward base on the moon before we could maintain any kind of consistent transport of supply to mars.

10. May 15, 2015 #9

Ryan_m_b

Agreed. The moon is much easier to take off from and return to Earth. If there was a disaster on a moon base the scientists and other staff cod get back to the safety of Earth within days.

11. May 16, 2015 #10
    Why is that? Don’t you think we’d have to get the supplies out of Earth’s gravity well first in either case? Then we are going to have to re-launch them from the moon?

12. May 16, 2015 #11
    For goods made on Earth, that is true. But most of the goods (by mass anyway) might be made on the moon. Fuel, water, and radiation shielding could all be made on the moon. Possibly carbon and other biologicals could allow hydroponics inputs as well.

They could be placed into orbit with some sort of quasi-reactionless drive cheaply due to the lower gravity and lack of atmosphere.

13. May 16, 2015 #12
    Actually, fuel, oxygen, water, and other resources can be produced on the moon and supplied to a spacecraft in space at a fraction of the cost it would cost to launch the same resources from Earth. That would also reduce the costs of launching from Earth as well, since those resources will not have be launched from Earth.

14. May 16, 2015 #13
    Any way do someone know what experts think between moon or mars for colonizing?

15. May 16, 2015 #14

Evo

16. May 16, 2015 #15

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

17. May 16, 2015 #16

Evo

It's an MIT study, close enough. I also allowed the NASA paper.

18. May 16, 2015 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's not what you asked for:

19. May 16, 2015 #18

Evo

See my reply above, in GD, if the papers are from valid, known sources, I'll allow them, I just don't want any mass media or pop-sci stuff.

20. May 16, 2015 #19

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Then I would like you to post the original source instead of an article saying what the source says.

21. May 16, 2015 #20

Evo

Shall I delete the NASA paper also since it's posted on a blog?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook