1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show abelian group has element of order [m,n]

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    Let G be an abelian group containing elements a and b of order m and n, respectively. Show that G contains an element of order [m,n] (the LCM of m and n).

This is true when (m,n)=1, because mn(a+b) = e, and if |a+b|=h, then h|mn. Now, hm(a+b) →m|h and similarly I find that n|h. But (m,n)=1, so this implies mn|h and mn = [m,n].

Now assume that (m,n)>1 and |a+b|=h. So h(a+b)=e, which implies 1)ha=hb=e, or 2)ha=-hb. If 1), then we note that [m,n] is the smallest number divisible by both m and n, so that h=[m,n]. Now, if 2) is the case, I'm not sure how to proceed. It's trivial if h=[m,n], so we must assume h≠[m,n] and get a contradiction. This hasn't worked for me.

If instead I try and show that [m,n]|h, the best I can get is that [m,n]/(m,n) | h, since I can only use a similar argument to paragraph one with m/(m,n) and n/(m,n) since they are coprime. If I consider the case where m/(m,n) and n are coprime, the result is easy, but then what if they aren't coprime?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Maybe you can do this in folloing steos:

1) If h=[m,n], then h(a+b)=0. This proves that the o(a+b) divides [m,n].
    2) Prove that m divides o(a+b) and that n divides o(a+b). This will prove that [m,n] divides o(a+b)

PS: I would appreciate it if you were to follow the homework template next time.

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3
    Ah, thanks for the tip. I needed to prove the lemma m|h, n|h imply [m,n]|h.

And my apologies. I'll be sure to use the template next time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook