Show change in de Broglie wavelength from change in speed

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a book regarding a nonrelativistic particle and the change in de Broglie wavelength. The individual attempted to solve the equation but found an incorrect answer. They were then given guidance on their mistake and were able to correct their solution, leading to a mindblowing realization about differentiation and error propagation.
Feynman.12

Homework Statement

Show that for a nonrelativistic particle, a small change in speed leads to a change in de Broglie wavelength given from

cramster-equation-20091191039506336795839013912505186.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to expand the left hand side of the equation, but found that it gave the answer of v0/delta v. My definition of delta lambda is the final wavelength minus the initial wavelength.

Physics news on Phys.org
Feynman.12 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to expand the left hand side of the equation, but found that it gave the answer of v0/delta v. My definition of delta lambda is the final wavelength minus the initial wavelength.
You need to actually show us what you did. How else can we find out where and if you went wrong?

Orodruin said:
You need to actually show us what you did. How else can we find out where and if you went wrong?
Sorry, my attempt is as follows.

In the book (Eisberg, Resnick - quantum physics of atoms, molecules, solids, nuclei and particles, pg. 82, question 10) it has the answer as that given above, however, my attachment proves that wrong. Is there anywhere I may have made a mistake?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 834
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 721
In your first step you write something that looks like ##{1\over a -b} = {1\over a} - {1\over b}## to me o0) ...

BvU said:
In your first step you write something that looks like ##{1\over a -b} = {1\over a} - {1\over b}## to me o0) ...
I can't find where I have done this. How would you do this question?

Feynman.12 said:
I can't find where I have done this. How would you do this question?
What you did is equivalent to that.

You had ##\displaystyle \ \Delta\lambda=\frac{h}{mv_f}-\frac{h}{mv_i} \ .##

Then you did this:
##\displaystyle \ \frac1{\Delta\lambda}=\frac{mv_f}{h}-\frac{mv_i}{h} \ .##

However, ##\displaystyle \ \frac1{\displaystyle\frac{h}{mv_f}-\frac{h}{mv_i}}\ne\frac{mv_f}{h}-\frac{mv_i}{h} \ .##

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-15_0-40-33.png
    upload_2015-7-15_0-40-33.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 694
SammyS said:
What you did is equivalent to that.

You had ##\displaystyle \ \Delta\lambda=\frac{h}{mv_f}-\frac{h}{mv_i} \ .##

Then you did this:
##\displaystyle \ \frac1{\Delta\lambda}=\frac{mv_f}{h}-\frac{mv_i}{h} \ .##

However, ##\displaystyle \ \frac1{\displaystyle\frac{h}{mv_f}-\frac{h}{mv_i}}\ne\frac{mv_f}{h}-\frac{mv_i}{h} \ .##
Okay, I understand that! I was able to try and attempt to solve this with the new knowledge, however I got stuck. I derive an answer that is

##\displaystyle \ \frac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda_0}=\frac{-\Delta v}{v_f}##
-

If my mathematics is correct, that would mean that

##\displaystyle \ \frac{-\Delta v}{v_f}=\frac{\Delta v}{v_0}##

But I can't think of any relations that would make the above true?

##\displaystyle \ \frac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda_0}=\frac{-\Delta v}{v_f}\ \ ## is correct. The book means to say ##
\displaystyle \ \frac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda}=\frac{|\Delta v|}{v}\ \ ## but finds the sign so trivial that it leaves out the ##|\ |##.
And for a small change ##v = v_0 \approx v_f## in the denominator -- NOT, of course in the difference.

This reminds me of differentiation and error propagation:

With ##y = 1/x## you have ##dy = -1/x^2 \; dx## so ##dy/y = -dx/x ## !

BvU said:
##\displaystyle \ \frac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda_0}=\frac{-\Delta v}{v_f}\ \ ## is correct. The book means to say ##
\displaystyle \ \frac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda}=\frac{|\Delta v|}{v}\ \ ## but finds the sign so trivial that it leaves out the ##|\ |##.
And for a small change ##v = v_0 \approx v_f## in the denominator -- NOT, of course in the difference.

This reminds me of differentiation and error propagation:

With ##y = 1/x## you have ##dy = -1/x^2 \; dx## so ##dy/y = -dx/x ## !
mindblow moment. Thankyou for your help!

1. How is de Broglie wavelength related to speed?

De Broglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the speed of an object. This means that as the speed of an object increases, its de Broglie wavelength decreases.

2. How can the change in de Broglie wavelength be calculated from a change in speed?

The change in de Broglie wavelength can be calculated using the de Broglie equation: λ = h/mv, where λ is the de Broglie wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the object, and v is its velocity.

3. What is the significance of a change in de Broglie wavelength?

A change in de Broglie wavelength can indicate a change in the momentum of an object. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of microscopic particles, such as electrons, which exhibit wave-particle duality.

4. Can the de Broglie wavelength be observed experimentally?

Yes, the de Broglie wavelength has been observed experimentally using diffraction and interference techniques. These experiments have confirmed the wave-like nature of particles and the validity of the de Broglie equation.

5. How does the de Broglie wavelength change for different types of particles?

The de Broglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the mass of the particle. This means that lighter particles, such as electrons, have a larger de Broglie wavelength than heavier particles, such as protons. Additionally, the de Broglie wavelength also changes with the speed of the particle.