1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

De Broglie wavelength of an ant

1. Feb 25, 2015 #1
    An ant of mass m = 1.80×10−6 kg goes through a hole of diameter D = 5.00 mm in a window screen which has thickness L = 0.600 mm.

(a) What should be the approximate wavelength and speed of the ant for it to show wave behavior as it goes through the hole?

I am not sure what should the approximate wavelength be. Should it be of the order of the diameter of hole? If not, what's the concept involved? Also, once we have wavelength, the speed should be very simple to calculate from de Broglie's formula.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello and welcome to PF!

I think you have the right idea: the wavelength should be of the order of the diameter of the hole.

4. Feb 26, 2015 #3

Suraj M

Gold Member

Shouldn't amplitude be of the order of the radius? just asking.

5. Feb 26, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't believe so. The amplitude of a wave does not have a direct effect on the amount of diffraction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted