De Broglie wavelength of a tennis ball

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 6K views
Davidmb19
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
This is a multiple choice question.
The de Broglie wavelength of a moving tennis ball is calculated as 1x10^-33. This means that the moving tennis ball
A)Diffracts through a narrow slit.
B)Does not behave as a particle
C)Does not display wave properties
D)Is traveling at the speed of light

The answer is C and I know this through the process of elimination however, I do not conceptually understand why it is. Can someone please explain?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wavelength= Plank's constant/Momentum
Therefore rearranging the equation
(6.63x10^-34)/(1x10^-33)=0.663
 
lol We don't know the mass. This is a multiple choice but the mass of a tennis ball, in general, is about 58 grams.
 
With that mass is it anywhere near light speed?
 
Ahhhh I see! I didn't think of that. Thank you :).
 
Good --- that take care of things for you?