1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show graphically/vector addition adding two waveforms

1. Apr 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We've been given an assignment in civil engineering with this question which we cant solve as the tutor hasn't explained it and has subsequently gone off sick with no replacement!!!!

The question is to show graphically and by vector addition, the result of adding the two waveforms, such that:

v1=200sin(ωt)

The problem is where the hell do we start with it?

Any help much appreciated!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your problem is still rather vague. What two wave forms are you trying to add together? Is V1 one of the wave forms being added, or is it the sum?

In any event, this type of thing is done often, especially in electrical and electronic engineering. Heck, you can prolly even google it.

We practiced adding sinusoids in algebra class, and it can certainly be done point-to-point. IDK about using vector addition, since you are not dealing with vectors.

4. Apr 8, 2016 #3
    oh no! apologies, I thought I had copied the second part in - I was rushing, put a "D" on my head and put me in the corner lol

I should have put:

v1=200sin(ωt)

v2=200sin(ωt+π÷2)

I hope this helps!

5. Apr 8, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I trust that you can produce V1 + V2 graphically. Both waveforms have the same amplitude and period, although V2 is shifted.

As far as adding two waveforms vectorially, the following may be of assistance to you:

http://scipp.ucsc.edu/~haber/ph5B/addsine.pdf

6. Apr 8, 2016 #5
    Thankyou, that looks very helpful indeed!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted