Show graphically/vector addition adding two waveforms

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in civil engineering where the task is to add two waveforms graphically and by vector addition. The specific waveforms given are v1=200sin(ωt) and v2=200sin(ωt+π÷2). The person seeking help is unsure of how to approach the problem and is asking for assistance. A helpful resource for adding two waveforms vectorially is mentioned.
Rian

Homework Statement

We've been given an assignment in civil engineering with this question which we can't solve as the tutor hasn't explained it and has subsequently gone off sick with no replacement!

The question is to show graphically and by vector addition, the result of adding the two waveforms, such that:

v1=200sin(ωt)

The problem is where the hell do we start with it?

Any help much appreciated!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Rian said:

Homework Statement

We've been given an assignment in civil engineering with this question which we can't solve as the tutor hasn't explained it and has subsequently gone off sick with no replacement!

The question is to show graphically and by vector addition, the result of adding the two waveforms, such that:

v1=200sin(ωt)

The problem is where the hell do we start with it?

Any help much appreciated!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Your problem is still rather vague. What two wave forms are you trying to add together? Is V1 one of the wave forms being added, or is it the sum?

In any event, this type of thing is done often, especially in electrical and electronic engineering. Heck, you can prolly even google it.

We practiced adding sinusoids in algebra class, and it can certainly be done point-to-point. IDK about using vector addition, since you are not dealing with vectors.

oh no! apologies, I thought I had copied the second part in - I was rushing, put a "D" on my head and put me in the corner lol

I should have put:

v1=200sin(ωt)

v2=200sin(ωt+π÷2)

I hope this helps!

Rian said:
oh no! apologies, I thought I had copied the second part in - I was rushing, put a "D" on my head and put me in the corner lol

I should have put:

v1=200sin(ωt)

v2=200sin(ωt+π÷2)

I hope this helps!
I trust that you can produce V1 + V2 graphically. Both waveforms have the same amplitude and period, although V2 is shifted.

As far as adding two waveforms vectorially, the following may be of assistance to you:

http://scipp.ucsc.edu/~haber/ph5B/addsine.pdf

Likes Rian
Thankyou, that looks very helpful indeed!

1. What is graphical/vector addition?

Graphical/vector addition is a method used to combine two or more waveforms by adding their individual displacement values at each point in time. This results in a new waveform that represents the combined motion of the individual waveforms.

2. How is graphical/vector addition performed?

To perform graphical/vector addition, the individual waveforms are plotted on a graph with their respective displacement values on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The values at each point in time are then added together to create a new waveform.

3. What is the purpose of graphical/vector addition in waveforms?

The purpose of graphical/vector addition is to analyze and understand the combined motion of multiple waveforms. It allows scientists to study the effects of interference and superposition on wave behavior.

4. Can graphical/vector addition be applied to any type of waveform?

Yes, graphical/vector addition can be applied to any type of waveform, including sound, light, and electromagnetic waves. It is a fundamental concept in the study of wave mechanics and is used in various fields of science and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to graphical/vector addition?

While graphical/vector addition is a useful tool for analyzing wave behavior, it has some limitations. It assumes that the waveforms being added are traveling in the same medium and at the same speed, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of nonlinear or complex wave interactions.