1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a set of matrices is NOT a vector space

1. Apr 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the following is NOT a vector space:
    {(a, 1) | a, b, c, ∈ ℝ}
    {(b, c)

Note: this is is meant to be a 2x2 matrix. This may not have been clear in how I formatted it.

2. The attempt at a solution
    I am self-studying linear algebra, and have had a difficulty conceptualizing/interpreting what a vector space actually is. However, to show that the set of all matrices of the form above is NOT a vector space, I subjected it to the addition/multiplication conditions. For example, the condition v+w ∈ V:
    (a, 1) + (p, 1) = (a+p, 2)
    (b, c) + (q, r) = (b+q, c+r)

The sum of the two matrices yields a matrix NOT of the original form, with 1 in the a_1,2 position. Does this prove that the set is not a vector space? Have I correctly interpreted the purpose of this problem as: "Show that one of the vector space conditions does not give back a matrix with the same form as the original matrix (a, 1, b, c)"?
    Another way I interpreted the question was: "Find a way to make a, b, or c NOT a real number." However, I could not think of a way to transform them into an imaginary number without using a scalar r ∉ ℝ.

My book gives many examples of what vector spaces are, or can be, but leaves it up to the reader to infer what does not constitute a vector space.

So, have I correctly solved the problem? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated! No answers, please. :)

Thanks a lot,
    Jordan

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2016 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. That's all you needed. Even just the first equation was enough.

4. Apr 25, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, your argument is correct. Also: a vector space must contain the zero vector, which your set of matrices does not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted