Show that a partial molar property is an intensive property

In summary, the derivative of a function with respect to a variable is equal to the sum of the derivatives of the function with respect to the other variables.
mcas
Homework Statement
Show that a partial molar property is an intensive property
Relevant Equations
Intensive property ##I##: ##\sum_{i=1}^{\alpha} (\frac{\partial I}{\partial n_i}n_i)=0##
Extensive property ##E##: ##\sum_{i=1}^{\alpha} (\frac{\partial E}{\partial n_i}n_i)=E##
Partial molar property for an extensive property ##E##: ##E^{(p)}_i=(\frac{\partial E}{\partial n_i})##
I started by taking a derivative:
$$E = \sum_{i=1}^{\alpha} (E_i^{(p)} n_i) \ \ \ | \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial n_i}$$
$$\frac{\partial E}{\partial n_i}=\sum_{i=1}^{\alpha} [\frac{\partial E_i^{(p)}}{\partial n_i}n_i + E_i^{(p)} \frac{\partial n_i}{\partial n_i}]$$
$$\frac{\partial E}{\partial n_i}=\sum_{i=1}^{\alpha} [\frac{\partial E_i^{(p)}}{\partial n_i}n_i + E_i^{(p)}]$$
$$\frac{\partial E}{\partial n_i}=\sum_{i=1}^{\alpha} [\frac{\partial E_i^{(p)}}{\partial n_i}n_i + (\frac{\partial E}{\partial n_i})]$$
$$\frac{\partial E}{\partial n_i} - E=\sum_{i=1}^{\alpha} [\frac{\partial E_i^{(p)}}{\partial n_i}n_i ]$$
I'm not sure what to do know. I also have a question regarding theleft hand side -- does ##E## defined as ##E =\sum_{i=1}^{\alpha} (\frac{\partial E}{\partial n_i}n_i)## depend on ##n_i##? Or is ##\frac{\partial E}{\partial n_i}## equal to 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful with your indices. If
E = Σif(ni)
it does not follow that
dE/dni = Σidf(ni)/dni
You want to use a different index label and say
dE/dnj = Σidf(ni)/dnj for a given j.

Likes mcas
mjc123 said:
Be careful with your indices. If
E = Σif(ni)
it does not follow that
dE/dni = Σidf(ni)/dni
You want to use a different index label and say
dE/dnj = Σidf(ni)/dnj for a given j.
Thank you! That looks much better now.
Now I get
$$\frac{\partial E}{\partial n_j}=\sum_{i=1}^{\alpha} [\frac{\partial E_j^{(p)}}{\partial n_i}n_i ]$$
And I'm still confused as to what ##\frac{\partial E}{\partial n_j}## is and how to deal with this term.

There is a very interesting derivation of this in Chapter 11, Smith and Van Ness, Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics.

Likes mcas
mcas said:
Now I get
$$\frac {\partial E} {\partial n_j} = \sum_{i=1}^α[\frac {\partial E_j^{(p)}} {\partial n_i}ni]$$
No, that should be
$$\frac {\partial E} {\partial n_j} = \sum_{i=1}^α[\frac {\partial E_i^{(p)}} {\partial n_j}ni + E_i^{(p)}\frac {\partial n_i} {\partial n_j}]$$
I don't know if you're on the right lines with the proof, I'm just correcting your notation.

mjc123 said:
No, that should be
$$\frac {\partial E} {\partial n_j} = \sum_{i=1}^α[\frac {\partial E_i^{(p)}} {\partial n_j}ni + E_i^{(p)}\frac {\partial n_i} {\partial n_j}]$$
I don't know if you're on the right lines with the proof, I'm just correcting your notation.
Thank you! Now I just need to express ##\frac {\partial n_i} {\partial n_j}## as ##\delta_{ij}## and it's proven.

1. What is a partial molar property?

A partial molar property is a thermodynamic property that describes the change in a specific component of a mixture when adding or removing a small amount of that component from the mixture, while keeping all other components constant.

2. What is an intensive property?

An intensive property is a physical property that does not depend on the size or amount of a substance. It remains constant regardless of the amount of substance present.

3. How is a partial molar property related to an intensive property?

A partial molar property is an intensive property because it does not depend on the amount of substance present, but rather on the composition of the mixture.

4. Why is it important to show that a partial molar property is an intensive property?

It is important to show that a partial molar property is an intensive property because it allows us to simplify calculations and make predictions about the behavior of mixtures without having to consider the size or amount of the mixture.

5. How can we prove that a partial molar property is an intensive property?

We can prove that a partial molar property is an intensive property by demonstrating that it remains constant when the composition of the mixture is changed, while keeping the total amount of substance constant.