Could an operator act on a bra vector?

In summary, the conversation discussed the confusion about the problem and its equivalence to a specific operator. The inclusion of the bra vector in the problem was also discussed, as well as the attempt to use the completeness relation and the expansion of ##\left|\alpha\right>##. The issue of taking the partial derivative with respect to ##\alpha##, a complex number, was also brought up, and the meaning of ##\Box^2## in the equation was explained. Various suggestions were given for how to approach the problem, including operating on an arbitrary ket to prove the equation.
Haorong Wu
Homework Statement
Show that
##a^{\dagger} \left | \alpha \right > \left < \alpha \right | = \left ( \alpha ^{*} + \frac {\partial} {\partial \alpha} \right ) \left | \alpha \right > \left < \alpha \right |##
Relevant Equations
##\left | \alpha \right >## is a coherent state, and ##a\left | \alpha \right >=\alpha \left | \alpha \right >##.
Also ##\left | \alpha \right > = e^{- \left | \alpha \right | ^2 /2} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac {\alpha ^n} {\sqrt{n!}} \left | n \right >##
I am confused about the problem. I thought operators do not act on bra vectors, and the problem is equivalent to
##a^{\dagger} \left | \alpha \right > = \left ( \alpha ^{*} + \frac {\partial} {\partial \alpha} \right ) \left | \alpha \right > ##. Then, strangely, ##\left < \alpha \right |## is redundant. So I think, ##\left < \alpha \right |## is included because the operator ##a^\dagger## has some effects on it.

On the other hand, I could not solve the problem. I tried to insert the completeness ralation so that
##a^{\dagger} \left | \alpha \right > \left < \alpha \right | =\frac 1 {\pi} \int d^2 \alpha ^{'} a^{\dagger} \left | \alpha^{'} \right > \left < \alpha^{'} \right |\left | \alpha \right > \left < \alpha \right | ##,
and tried to expand ##\left | \alpha \right > = e^{- \left | \alpha \right | ^2 /2} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac {\alpha ^n} {\sqrt{n!}} \left | n \right >##.

But neither method can give any terms including ## \frac {\partial} {\partial \alpha}##

Meanwhile, I am not sure how to do partial differential with ##\alpha## which is a complex number.

By the way, what is the meaning of ##\Box ^ 2## in ##\Box ^2 E = - \mu _0 P##?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Haorong Wu said:
and the problem is equivalent to
a†|α⟩=(α∗+∂∂α)|α⟩.
I think so. Did you try calculating
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} [e^{-\alpha\alpha^*/2}\alpha^n]\frac{|n>}{\sqrt{n!}}[/tex]?

Haorong Wu said:
I thought operators do not act on bra vectors,
Well, operators can act on bra vectors from the right, but I don't think this is what you meant.

Haorong Wu said:
and the problem is equivalent to
##a^{\dagger} \left | \alpha \right > = \left ( \alpha ^{*} + \frac {\partial} {\partial \alpha} \right ) \left | \alpha \right > ##. Then, strangely, ##\left < \alpha \right |## is redundant. So I think, ##\left < \alpha \right |## is included because the operator ##a^\dagger## has some effects on it.
It is equivalent. The bra is "passive" here. My guess is that this relation will be useful later.

Haorong Wu said:
I tried to insert the completeness ralation so that
##a^{\dagger} \left | \alpha \right > \left < \alpha \right | =\frac 1 {\pi} \int d^2 \alpha ^{'} a^{\dagger} \left | \alpha^{'} \right > \left < \alpha^{'} \right |\left | \alpha \right > \left < \alpha \right | ##,
This is not useful here. The point of using the completeness relation is when you have an expression of the type ##\hat{A} | \psi \rangle## which you might be able to solve by replacing the ##| \psi \rangle## with eigenkets of ##\hat{A}##, for which you know how the operator acts on them.

Haorong Wu said:
and tried to expand ##\left | \alpha \right > = e^{- \left | \alpha \right | ^2 /2} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac {\alpha ^n} {\sqrt{n!}} \left | n \right >##.
This is the right approach. Of course, the ## \frac {\partial} {\partial \alpha}## won't appear by itself, but it is useful to consider how that derivative applies to ##e^{c \alpha}##.

But neither method can give any terms including ## \frac {\partial} {\partial \alpha}##

Haorong Wu said:
Meanwhile, I am not sure how to do partial differential with ##\alpha## which is a complex number.
What is ## \frac {\partial} {\partial x}## of ##f(x) = x^n##?

Haorong Wu said:
By the way, what is the meaning of ##\Box ^ 2## in ##\Box ^2 E = - \mu _0 P##?
It is the d'Alembertian.

anuttarasammyak said:
I think so. Did you try calculating
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} [e^{-\alpha\alpha^*/2}\alpha^n]\frac{|n>}{\sqrt{n!}}[/tex]?

Hi, @anuttarasammyak . I have tried it. I was stuck in calculating the partial derivative ##\frac {\partial \alpha ^*} {\partial \alpha}##.
Because ##\alpha ^ *## is not analytic, then the derivative ##\frac {d \alpha ^*} {d \alpha}## does not exist. I do not know how to deal with this situation.

Many thanks, @DrClaude .

I guess that, operator ##a^\dagger## may not act on the bra, but the partial do act on it. I will try it hard.

Also, since ##\alpha ^ *## is not analytic, its derivative does not exist, so I do not know how to proceed next. Should I ignore it?

Haorong Wu said:
I was stuck in calculating the partial derivative ∂α∗∂α.
Thanks. So the answer suggests us
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha}|\alpha><\alpha|=[\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha}|\alpha>]<\alpha|\ +\ |\alpha>[\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha}<\alpha|][/tex], partial derivative works not on ket only but on whole operator, and
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha}(\alpha \alpha^*)=\alpha^*[/tex]
,alpha* is independent parameter as for partial derivative of alpha.

Last edited:
Haorong Wu said:
I guess that, operator ##a^\dagger## may not act on the bra, but the partial do act on it.

Yes, I think so.

I do not have time to look at this today (I am in the middle of a bunch of work work), but here is a suggestion (which may or may not be helpful). You are trying to prove an equation involving operators, and one way to do this is to show that when both sides operate on an arbitrary ket, they give the same result. Since they form basis, it is sufficient to operate on an arbitrary energy eigenket ##\left| m \right>##. This should get rid of one of the sums.

Again, I have no idea if this is useful.

After going back to my real work, this was still in the back of my mind. Maybe take this idea one step further and calculate matrix elements (with respect to an energy eigenbasis) of both operators by sandwiching the operators on both sides of the desired equation between the bra ##\left< n \right|## and the ket ##\left| m \right>##. Let ##a^\dagger## operate on the bra ##\left< n \right|##.

Haorong Wu said:
Because α∗ is not analytic, then the derivative dα∗dα does not exist.

DrClaude said:
What is ∂∂x of f(x)=xn?

Say ##f(z)=z^*##, making conjugate complex,
f(z) does not satisfies Cauchy-Riemann relation, i.e.
[tex]z=x+iy,f(z)=x-iy[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial x} \neq \frac{\partial (-y)}{\partial y}[/tex]
So it does not differentiable.

Say
[tex]f'(z)=\lim_{\zeta \rightarrow 0}\frac{z^*+\zeta^*-z^*}{\zeta}=\lim_{\zeta \rightarrow 0}e^{-i \ arg(\zeta)}[/tex]
It does not depend on value of z and is a phase factor of any chosen infinitesimal approach. If we can take "averaged" phase factor
[tex] <e^{-i \ arg(\zeta)}>=0[/tex] then
[tex]f'(z)=\frac{dz^*}{dz}=0[/tex]
Such an extended meaning of partial differentiation makes sense?

I should appreciate it if someone who knows mathematics better correct/comment on it.

Last edited:
Haorong Wu said:
Homework Statement:: Show that
##a^{\dagger} \left | \alpha \right > \left < \alpha \right | = \left ( \alpha ^{*} + \frac {\partial} {\partial \alpha} \right ) \left | \alpha \right > \left < \alpha \right |##
George Jones said:
After going back to my real work, this was still in the back of my mind. Maybe take this idea one step further and calculate matrix elements (with respect to an energy eigenbasis) of both operators by sandwiching the operators on both sides of the desired equation between the bra ##\left< n \right|## and the ket ##\left| m \right>##. Let ##a^\dagger## operate on the bra ##\left< n \right|##.

Now I've had a chance to calculate! This works.

1. What is an operator in relation to a bra vector?

An operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical representation of a physical process that acts on a quantum state, such as a bra vector. It is used to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time.

2. How does an operator act on a bra vector?

An operator acts on a bra vector by multiplying it from the left side, resulting in a new bra vector. This new vector represents the state of the system after the operator has been applied.

3. Can any operator act on any bra vector?

No, not all operators can act on all bra vectors. The operator must be compatible with the bra vector in terms of its dimensions and properties. For example, a position operator cannot act on a momentum bra vector.

4. What happens to the bra vector after an operator is applied?

The bra vector is transformed into a new vector that represents the state of the system after the operator has been applied. This new vector may have different properties than the original bra vector, depending on the operator that was used.

5. Why is it important to understand how operators act on bra vectors?

Understanding how operators act on bra vectors is crucial in quantum mechanics because it allows us to predict the behavior of quantum systems. By applying operators, we can calculate the probabilities of different outcomes and make predictions about the future state of the system.