1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that four points lie on a plane

1. Aug 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (2; 0; 1); (-1; 2; 3); (3; 2; 2) and (3;-6;-3)

2. Relevant equations

PS→⋅(PR→×PQ→)=0

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi all, I am just wondering if my calculations are correct, and in fact these points do not lie on a plane. My answer is = 50 and i am not confident. Can anyone help me please?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It would be much easier to judge if what you are doing is correct if you actually showed us what you are doing.

Edit: Also, the points do lie in a plane - any solution not resulting in this is going to be wrong.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  4. Aug 8, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is 50?

ehild

5. Aug 8, 2014 #4
    I have miss-read the question. All it is asking me to do, is prove that these points lie in the same plane. May i ask how?

6. Aug 8, 2014 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If this is a homework problem or problem in a course you are taking there should be a description of how to determine this in your course literature. Have you tried applying that?

7. Aug 8, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have the answer in your first post:
    PS→⋅(PR→×PQ→)=0
    (I assume the arrow after indicates "vector")

Any three points, such as P, Q, and R must lie in a plane so the two vectors PR and PQ lie in a plane and their cross product is perpendicular to the plane. The fourth point, S, lies in that same plane if and only the vector PS does also- and then its dot product with the perpendicular vector is 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted