• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Show that four points lie on a plane

• Thread starter toupee
  • Start date

Homework Statement

(2; 0; 1); (-1; 2; 3); (3; 2; 2) and (3;-6;-3)

Homework Equations

PS→⋅(PR→×PQ→)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi all, I am just wondering if my calculations are correct, and in fact these points do not lie on a plane. My answer is = 50 and i am not confident. Can anyone help me please?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
It would be much easier to judge if what you are doing is correct if you actually showed us what you are doing.

Edit: Also, the points do lie in a plane - any solution not resulting in this is going to be wrong.

Last edited:
ehild
Homework Helper
Hi all, I am just wondering if my calculations are correct, and in fact these points do not lie on a plane. My answer is = 50 and i am not confident. Can anyone help me please?
What is 50?

ehild

I have miss-read the question. All it is asking me to do, is prove that these points lie in the same plane. May i ask how?

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
If this is a homework problem or problem in a course you are taking there should be a description of how to determine this in your course literature. Have you tried applying that?

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have miss-read the question. All it is asking me to do, is prove that these points lie in the same plane. May i ask how?
You have the answer in your first post:
PS→⋅(PR→×PQ→)=0
(I assume the arrow after indicates "vector")

Any three points, such as P, Q, and R must lie in a plane so the two vectors PR and PQ lie in a plane and their cross product is perpendicular to the plane. The fourth point, S, lies in that same plane if and only the vector PS does also- and then its dot product with the perpendicular vector is 0.