• Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A σ-algebra G on a set X is a family of subsets of X satisfying:

1) X[itex]\in[/itex]G
2)A[itex]\in[/itex]G => C(A)[itex]\in[/itex]G
3)Aj [itex]\subset[/itex] G => [itex]\bigcup[/itex] Aj [itex]\in[/itex] G

Show that G = {A[itex]\subset[/itex]X : #A≤N or ≠C(A)≤N}

# stands for the cardinality of the set.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually I am not so far in the problem solving because I am stuck at showing the first property. We must have that X[itex]\in[/itex]G. But since G is only the set of proper subsets of X, i.e. doesn't contain X by definition, how can 1) hold?

Answers and Replies

Maybe ##\subset## indicate "subset" instead of the symbol ##\subseteq##...

wait what? No the definition clearly states to use proper subsets.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Why are you trying to show the first property holds? Isn't it being given to you as part of a definition? In other words, you can assume G satisfies those three properties in trying to write your proof.

I see I made a mistake. I meant to write: Show that G = {A⊂X : #A≤N or ≠C(A)≤N} is a sigma-algebra on X.

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The proper subset symbol is often used to denote improper subset so I wouldn't get too caught up in the details of what they are trying to say there.

However the typical definition of a sigma-algebra does not say that X is in G, it just says that there exists some subset A of X which is contained in G (i.e. G is not empty).

[omissis]
However the typical definition of a sigma-algebra does not say that X is in G, it just says that there exists some subset A of X which is contained in G (i.e. G is not empty).
Yes, you're right, but if ##A\in G\implies X\setminus A\in G## so, by 3) ##A\cup (X\setminus A)= X\in G ##

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Oops that's embarassing. Then I retract that point and am sticking with "nobody uses the proper subset symbol and means it unless they explicitly state so, so X is contained in G"

but what if we can't take a proper subset of G? Shouldn't we allow for the case where you have to take all of G (i.e. an improper subset) if we want the argument in #7 to hold?