1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that G is a sigma-algebra

1. Aug 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A σ-algebra G on a set X is a family of subsets of X satisfying:

1) X[itex]\in[/itex]G
    2)A[itex]\in[/itex]G => C(A)[itex]\in[/itex]G
    3)Aj [itex]\subset[/itex] G => [itex]\bigcup[/itex] Aj [itex]\in[/itex] G

Show that G = {A[itex]\subset[/itex]X : #A≤N or ≠C(A)≤N}

# stands for the cardinality of the set.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Actually I am not so far in the problem solving because I am stuck at showing the first property. We must have that X[itex]\in[/itex]G. But since G is only the set of proper subsets of X, i.e. doesn't contain X by definition, how can 1) hold?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2013 #2
    Maybe ##\subset## indicate "subset" instead of the symbol ##\subseteq##...

4. Aug 28, 2013 #3
    wait what? No the definition clearly states to use proper subsets.

5. Aug 28, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why are you trying to show the first property holds? Isn't it being given to you as part of a definition? In other words, you can assume G satisfies those three properties in trying to write your proof.

6. Aug 28, 2013 #5
    I see I made a mistake. I meant to write: Show that G = {A⊂X : #A≤N or ≠C(A)≤N} is a sigma-algebra on X.

7. Aug 28, 2013 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The proper subset symbol is often used to denote improper subset so I wouldn't get too caught up in the details of what they are trying to say there.

However the typical definition of a sigma-algebra does not say that X is in G, it just says that there exists some subset A of X which is contained in G (i.e. G is not empty).

8. Aug 28, 2013 #7
    Yes, you're right, but if ##A\in G\implies X\setminus A\in G## so, by 3) ##A\cup (X\setminus A)= X\in G ##

9. Aug 28, 2013 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oops that's embarassing. Then I retract that point and am sticking with "nobody uses the proper subset symbol and means it unless they explicitly state so, so X is contained in G"

10. Aug 29, 2013 #9
    but what if we can't take a proper subset of G? Shouldn't we allow for the case where you have to take all of G (i.e. an improper subset) if we want the argument in #7 to hold?

11. Aug 29, 2013 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted