1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that this orthogonal diagonalization is a singular value decomposition.

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if A is an nxn positive definite symmetric matrix, then an orthogonal diagonalization A = PDP' is a singular value decomposition. (where P' = transpose(P))

2. The attempt at a solution.

I really don't know how to start this problem off. I know that the singular value decomposition is of the form A = UEV' where E will be an nxn matrix containing the singular values of A, and in this case the eigenvalues of A as well. But that's about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

is A a real matrix? if A is symmetric, how are the eigenvectors of A related to that of A^T

4. Nov 22, 2009 #3
    Well, A has an orthonormal set of n eigenvectors, which would therefore be the same as A^T, but I don't know how to use this in the proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook