1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product of singular values = determinant proof

1. Jul 11, 2011 #1

Vai

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So I'm working on this proof. Given an n x n (square) matrix, prove that it's determinant is equal to the product of it's singular values.

2. Relevant equations

We are given A = U*E*V as a singular value decomposition of A.

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking that det(A) = det(U) * det(E) * det(V)

and since E is the diagonal matrix with singular values on it's diagonal, it's determinant is the product of those singular values.

But then what to do about det(U) and det(V)? I guess it's logical that the product of their determinants is 1, but how do I show that?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi Vai! :smile:

Do your singular values always need to be positive?? Does det(E) always need to be positive and det(A)??

U and V are unitary, what do you know about the determinant of unitary matrices?

4. Jul 11, 2011 #3

Vai

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm not sure about the sign on the singular values. Since they are the square roots of the eigenvalues of A' * A, then I assume that they are all positive. So then that means det(E) is also positive.

I wasn't aware that U and V are unitary matrices. But your comment made me think, and according to the definition of the singular value decomposition, they are orthogonal matrices. So then I can say their determinants are +/- 1.

I think that is enough then to show the det(A) is the product of the singular values since:

det(A) = det(U) * det(E) * det(V)
    = (+/- 1) * (product of singular values) * (+/- 1)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  5. Jul 11, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How can det(A) equal det(E) if det(E) is always positive, but if det(A) is not always positive??

6. Jul 11, 2011 #5

Vai

Whoops, I'm really sorry. I had to prove that the absolute value of the determinant of A is equal to the product of the singular values.

then:

|det(A)| = |det(U) * det(E) * det(V)|
    = | (+/- 1) * (product of singular values) * (+/- 1) |
    = product of singular values

7. Jul 11, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That is correct! :smile:

8. Jul 11, 2011 #7

Vai

Ok, thank you very much for your help; saved me a lot of time there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook