Show that this set of equations defines a unique vector

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set Vector
In summary, it appears that the magnitude of vector X is equal to 1/cos(theta) where theta is the angle it makes with vector A. The direction relative to A must be arctan(|B|/|A|) and the magnitude is \sqrt{\frac{|B|^{2}}{|A|^{2}} + 1}
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Show that, given vectors A and B:

A * X = |a|
and
A x X = B

defines X as a unique vector

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea.

My only conclusion thus far is that the magnitude of x is equal to 1/cos(theta) where theta is the angle it makes with vector A.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

Show that, given vectors A and B:

A * X = |a|
and
A x X = B

defines X as a unique vector

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea.

My only conclusion thus far is that the magnitude of x is equal to 1/cos(theta) where theta is the angle it makes with vector A.

Any ideas?
It appears that you're being a bit careless with upper/lower case.

If you mean AX = |A|,

then, yes, the magnitude of vector, X, is given by |X| = 1/cos(θ) .

So, it looks like you used CD = |C| |D| cos(θ) .

Now use that the magnitude of the vector product is:
|C × D| = |C| |D| sin(θ)

Sorry! Yes, I tried to make all vectors upper case afterwards to prevent confusion with the cross product.

I have also noted the magnitude of the cross product to be |A||X|sin(theta) = |B| but I am not sure how this relates to finding anything out about X, since I already know its magnitude based on theta above, and I know nothing about B other than it being perpendicular to both A and X.

1MileCrash said:
Sorry! Yes, I tried to make all vectors upper case afterwards to prevent confusion with the cross product.

I have also noted the magnitude of the cross product to be |A||X|sin(theta) = |B| but I am not sure how this relates to finding anything out about X, since I already know its magnitude based on theta above, and I know nothing about B other than it being perpendicular to both A and X.
And what is |X| ?

Ah!

So then that results in
Tan(theta) = |B|/|A|

So it's direction relative to A is
arctan(|B|/|A|)

And it's magnitude is
1/cos(theta)
Which is of course:

1/cos(arctan(|B|/|A|)

Geometrically, I figure that cos(arctan(x)) = (x^2 + 1)^(-1/2)
So 1/cos(arctan(x)) = (x^2 + 1)^(1/2)

Then letting x = |B|/|A|,

The magnitude must be
[itex]\sqrt{\frac{|B|^{2}}{|A|^{2}} + 1}[/itex]

And its direction relative to A must be
[itex]arctan(\frac{|B|}{|A|})[/itex]

Hm... but arctan will give the same thing for some angle theta, and 180 - theta. So it's still not unique.. this must be resolved some way?

Thanks for the help!

1. What does it mean for a set of equations to define a unique vector?

When a set of equations is said to define a unique vector, it means that the solution to the equations results in a single, specific vector in a given vector space. This vector is the only possible solution that satisfies all of the equations in the set.

2. How can you show that a set of equations defines a unique vector?

To show that a set of equations defines a unique vector, you can solve the equations using algebraic methods or through the use of matrices. If the solution results in a single, specific vector, then it can be determined that the set of equations defines a unique vector.

3. Can a set of equations define more than one vector?

No, a set of equations can only define a unique vector. This is because a vector is a mathematical object with both magnitude and direction, and a set of equations can only yield a single solution that satisfies all of its conditions.

4. What happens if a set of equations does not define a unique vector?

If a set of equations does not define a unique vector, it means that the solution results in more than one vector that satisfies the equations. This indicates that the equations are not sufficient to uniquely determine a vector in the given vector space.

5. Why is it important for a set of equations to define a unique vector?

Defining a unique vector through a set of equations is important because it allows for precise and specific solutions in mathematical and scientific applications. It also ensures that the vector space is well-defined and that the equations accurately represent the problem at hand.