1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that two rings are not isomorphic

1. Mar 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the rings ##2 \mathbb{Z}## and ##3 \mathbb{Z}## are not isomorphic.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to show that two structures are isomorphic: find an isomorphism. However, I am not quite sure how to show that there exists no isomorphism at all

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't have any help for you but I have to comment that your post gave me a chuckle because my son and I were just recently discussing a linguistic phenomenon that I noticed some time ago. I make no representation that I know what YOU mean, but I know what I mean, and what most people mean with the following construct:

"I don't exactly know how to ... " or "I don't quite know how to ... " generally means "I don't have even the tiniest clue how to and in fact I'm not even sure how to spell it" :biggrin:

4. Mar 22, 2017 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Assume they were isomorphic and consider the consequences, or try to find a ring homomorphism by defining ##\varphi (2) = 3x## for some integer ##x## and see if you run into contradictions.

5. Mar 23, 2017 #4
    Suppose, for a contradiction, a ring isomorphism [itex]f :2\mathbb{Z}\to3\mathbb{Z}[/itex] existed. Then [itex]f(2) = 3m[/itex] for some [itex]m\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex].
    Since [itex]f[/itex] respects addition and multiplication, then [itex]f(2)+f(2) =f(2+2) =f(4)= f(2\cdot 2)=f(2)\cdot f(2)[/itex]. But this is a problem. Can you explain, why?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted