Show that two rings are not isomorphic

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, to show that the rings ##2 \mathbb{Z}## and ##3 \mathbb{Z}## are not isomorphic, we can assume they are isomorphic and then find a contradiction by considering the consequences of this assumption. One way to do this is by trying to find a ring homomorphism between the two rings and see if we run into contradictions.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Show that the rings ##2 \mathbb{Z}## and ##3 \mathbb{Z}## are not isomorphic.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to show that two structures are isomorphic: find an isomorphism. However, I am not quite sure how to show that there exists no isomorphism at all

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the rings ##2 \mathbb{Z}## and ##3 \mathbb{Z}## are not isomorphic.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to show that two structures are isomorphic: find an isomorphism. However, I am not quite sure how to show that there exists no isomorphism at all
I don't have any help for you but I have to comment that your post gave me a chuckle because my son and I were just recently discussing a linguistic phenomenon that I noticed some time ago. I make no representation that I know what YOU mean, but I know what I mean, and what most people mean with the following construct:

"I don't exactly know how to ... " or "I don't quite know how to ... " generally means "I don't have even the tiniest clue how to and in fact I'm not even sure how to spell it" :biggrin:

Likes nuuskur and Mr Davis 97
Assume they were isomorphic and consider the consequences, or try to find a ring homomorphism by defining ##\varphi (2) = 3x## for some integer ##x## and see if you run into contradictions.

Suppose, for a contradiction, a ring isomorphism [itex]f :2\mathbb{Z}\to3\mathbb{Z}[/itex] existed. Then [itex]f(2) = 3m[/itex] for some [itex]m\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex].
Since [itex]f[/itex] respects addition and multiplication, then [itex]f(2)+f(2) =f(2+2) =f(4)= f(2\cdot 2)=f(2)\cdot f(2)[/itex]. But this is a problem. Can you explain, why?

Last edited:
Likes Mr Davis 97

1. How do you determine if two rings are isomorphic?

Two rings are considered isomorphic if there exists a bijective ring homomorphism between them. This means that the two rings have the same structure and operations, but the elements may be named differently.

2. What are some properties that two isomorphic rings share?

If two rings are isomorphic, they must have the same number of elements, the same identity element, and the same operations (addition and multiplication) defined on their elements. They also have the same number of zero divisors and nilpotent elements.

3. Can two rings with different structures be isomorphic?

No, two rings with different structures cannot be isomorphic. Isomorphism depends on the structure and operations of the rings, so if these are not the same, the rings cannot be isomorphic.

4. What are some techniques for proving that two rings are not isomorphic?

One common technique is to look at the properties of the rings, such as the number of elements, the presence of zero divisors, and the existence of certain elements (like nilpotent elements). If these properties are different, the rings are not isomorphic. Another technique is to find a specific property or feature of one ring that is not present in the other, which would also prove that they are not isomorphic.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to proving that two rings are not isomorphic?

There are no shortcuts or tricks to proving that two rings are not isomorphic. It requires a thorough understanding of the properties and structure of both rings, as well as a careful analysis of their differences. It is also important to be familiar with the definition of isomorphism and how it applies to rings.