1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theorem of Finitely Generated Abelian Groups

1. May 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Are the groups ##\mathbb{Z}_8 \times \mathbb{Z}_{10} \times \mathbb{Z}_{24}## and ##\mathbb{Z}_4 \times \mathbb{Z}_{12} \times \mathbb{Z}_{40}## isomorphic? Why or why not?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I am misunderstanding the Theorem of Finitely Generated Abelian Groups, because to me it seems that we can just decompose each direct product into ##\mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_3 \times \mathbb{Z}_5##, and so they are isomorphic. Why can't this be done, and why are they not isomorphic?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2017 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start small and simple. Draw up an addition table for ##\mathbb Z_4## and another for ##\mathbb Z_2\oplus\mathbb Z_2## and observe how they differ, preventing isomorphism.

4. May 4, 2017 #3
    Oh right, because ##\mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2## is isomorphic to the Klein-4 group, and the not ##\mathbb{Z}_4##.

So then how can I answer whether the two groups that I have are isomorphic in general?

5. May 4, 2017 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One way to prove non-isomorphism is to look for an algebraic feature of one group that the other group does not have.
    One way to prove isomorphism is to construct an isomorphism between the two.

You might try looking at the number of elements of order 8 in each of the two groups.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted