Theorem of Finitely Generated Abelian Groups

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the groups ##\mathbb{Z}_8 \times \mathbb{Z}_{10} \times \mathbb{Z}_{24}## and ##\mathbb{Z}_4 \times \mathbb{Z}_{12} \times \mathbb{Z}_{40}## are isomorphic. The discussion touches upon the Theorem of Finitely Generated Abelian Groups and the Klein-4 group. It is suggested to look at the number of elements of order 8 in each group to determine isomorphism.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Are the groups ##\mathbb{Z}_8 \times \mathbb{Z}_{10} \times \mathbb{Z}_{24}## and ##\mathbb{Z}_4 \times \mathbb{Z}_{12} \times \mathbb{Z}_{40}## isomorphic? Why or why not?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I am misunderstanding the Theorem of Finitely Generated Abelian Groups, because to me it seems that we can just decompose each direct product into ##\mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_3 \times \mathbb{Z}_5##, and so they are isomorphic. Why can't this be done, and why are they not isomorphic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start small and simple. Draw up an addition table for ##\mathbb Z_4## and another for ##\mathbb Z_2\oplus\mathbb Z_2## and observe how they differ, preventing isomorphism.

andrewkirk said:
Start small and simple. Draw up an addition table for ##\mathbb Z_4## and another for ##\mathbb Z_2\oplus\mathbb Z_2## and observe how they differ, preventing isomorphism.
Oh right, because ##\mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2## is isomorphic to the Klein-4 group, and the not ##\mathbb{Z}_4##.

So then how can I answer whether the two groups that I have are isomorphic in general?

One way to prove non-isomorphism is to look for an algebraic feature of one group that the other group does not have.
One way to prove isomorphism is to construct an isomorphism between the two.

You might try looking at the number of elements of order 8 in each of the two groups.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is the Theorem of Finitely Generated Abelian Groups?

The Theorem of Finitely Generated Abelian Groups states that every finitely generated abelian group is isomorphic to a direct sum of cyclic groups.

2. What does it mean for a group to be finitely generated?

A group is finitely generated if it can be generated by a finite set of elements. This means that every element in the group can be expressed as a combination of these generators using the group's operation.

3. How is the Theorem of Finitely Generated Abelian Groups useful in mathematics?

This theorem is useful in many areas of mathematics, including number theory, geometry, and algebra. It allows us to break down complex groups into simpler, more manageable pieces, making it easier to study and understand them.

4. Can you give an example of a finitely generated abelian group?

Yes, the group of integers under addition is a finitely generated abelian group. It can be generated by the single element 1.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Theorem of Finitely Generated Abelian Groups?

Yes, there are some groups that are not finitely generated and therefore do not apply to this theorem. Examples include the infinite cyclic group and the infinite dihedral group.