Show that wave packet is an eigenstate to operator

In summary, the Gaussian wave-packet described byΨ(x)= (mω/πh)1/4 e-(mω/2h)(x-xt)2 + (i/h)pt(x-xt)is an eigenstate to the operator a with eigenvalue α, where α = x_t + (i/h) p_t.
Bapelsin
Show that wave packet is an eigenstate to operator [SOLVED]

Homework Statement

For a harmonic oscillator we can define the step up and down operators [tex]\hat{a}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{a}^{\dagger}[/tex] and their action as

[tex]\hat{a}=\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}}(\hat{x}+\frac{\imath}{m\omega}\hat{p}) \quad \hat{a}|n\rangle = \sqrt{n}|n-1\rangle[/tex]

[tex]\hat{a}^{\dagger}=\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}}(\hat{x}-\frac{\imath}{m\omega}\hat{p}) \quad \hat{a}^{\dagger}|n\rangle = \sqrt{n+1}|n+1\rangle[/tex]

Show that the Gaussian wave-packet

[tex]\Psi(x)=\left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi\hbar}\right)^{1/4}e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}(x-x_t)^2+\frac{\imath}{\hbar}p_t(x-x_t)}[/tex]

is an eigenstate to [tex]\hat{a}[/tex] with eigenvalue [tex]\alpha[/tex].
[tex]\hat{a}|a\rangle = \alpha | a\rangle[/tex]

Express the eigenvalue in terms of [tex]x_t[/tex] and [tex]p_t[/tex].

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\hat{p} \rightarrow -i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

gives the expression for

[tex]\hat{a}=\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}}(\hat{x}+\frac{\hbar}{m\omega}\frac{\partial}{\partial x})[/tex]

[tex]\hat{a}|\Psi\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}} \left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi\hbar}\right)^{1/4}\left(e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}(x-x_t)^2+\frac{\imath}{\hbar}p_t(x-x_t)} + \frac{\hbar}{m\omega}(-\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}(x-x_t)+\frac{\imath}{\hbar}p_t(e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}(x-x_t)^2+\frac{\imath}{\hbar}p_t(x-x_t)})\right) =
\Psi\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}}\left(1+(x-x_t)+\frac{\imath}{m\omega}p_t\right)[/tex]

which is obviously not a scalar times [tex]\Psi[/tex].

What am I doing wrong here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot the x in the first term in parentheses (which comes from the x operator multiplied by Psi).

Here, cut out the clutter (h is supposed to be hbar in what follows):

C = (mω/h)1/2

A = (h/mω)

Then:

a|Ψ> = C(x + A ∂/∂x)Ψ

= C(xΨ + A∂Ψ/∂x)

= C(xΨ + A[(-mω/h)(x-xt) + (i/h)pt]Ψ)

=C(xΨ + A[-A-1xΨ + A-1xtΨ + (i/h)ptΨ])

See anything that might cancel?

Yes. Thank you!

1. What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a localized disturbance or oscillation in a medium that travels as a unit, typically in the form of a pulse or group of waves. It is often used to represent the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

2. What is an eigenstate?

An eigenstate is a state of a physical system that can be described by a single, definite value for a specific observable quantity, such as position, momentum, or energy. In other words, it is a state in which a particular physical property is well-defined and does not change over time.

3. What does it mean for a wave packet to be an eigenstate to an operator?

When a wave packet is an eigenstate to an operator, it means that the operator has a well-defined value and the wave packet will maintain its shape and behavior over time when acted upon by that operator. This is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles.

4. How can we show that a wave packet is an eigenstate to an operator?

To show that a wave packet is an eigenstate to an operator, we can use the mathematical concept of an eigenfunction, which is a function that, when acted upon by an operator, yields a constant multiple of itself. By solving the mathematical equations for the wave packet and the operator, we can determine if the wave packet is an eigenstate or not.

5. What is the significance of a wave packet being an eigenstate to an operator?

The significance of a wave packet being an eigenstate to an operator is that it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. By knowing the wave packet's properties and how it will behave when acted upon by a specific operator, we can better understand and describe the behavior of particles at a quantum level.