1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that y(x,t)=y1(x,t)+y2(x,t) is a solution to the wave equation

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let y[itex]_{1}[/itex](x,t)=Acos(k[itex]_{1}[/itex]x-ω[itex]_{1}[/itex]t) and y[itex]_{2}[/itex](x,t)=Acos(k[itex]_{2}[/itex]-ω[itex]_{2}[/itex]t) be two solutions to the wave equation
    [itex]\frac{∂^{2}y}{∂x^{2}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{v^{2}}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂^{2}y}{∂t^{2}}[/itex]
    for the same v. Show that y(x,t)=y[itex]_{1}[/itex](x,t)+y[itex]_{2}[/itex](x,t) is also a solution to the wave equation.

2. Relevant equations
    Equations given in problem statement and

cos(a-b)=cosacosb+sinasinb

3. The attempt at a solution

I am pretty sure I put y[itex]_{1}[/itex](x,t)+y[itex]_{2}[/itex](x,t) in a form that does not involve addition like 2Acosasinb or something close to that. Then I take a second partial derivative with respect to both x and t and show that the ratio of ∂[itex]^{2}[/itex]y/∂t[itex]^{2}[/itex] over ∂[itex]^{2}[/itex]2/∂x[itex]^{2}[/itex] is equal to v[itex]^{2}[/itex].
    I am hung up on the trig.

y(x,t)=y[itex]_{1}[/itex](x,t)+y[itex]_{2}[/itex](x,t)

y(x,t)=Acos(k[itex]_{1}[/itex]x-ω[itex]_{1}[/itex]t)+Acos(k[itex]_{2}[/itex]-ω[itex]_{2}[/itex]t)

y(x,t)=A(cosk[itex]_{1}[/itex]xcosω[itex]_{1}[/itex]t+sink[itex]_{1}[/itex]xsinω[itex]_{1}[/itex]t)+A(cosk[itex]_{2}[/itex]xcosω[itex]_{2}[/itex]t+sink[itex]_{2}[/itex]xsinω[itex]_{2}[/itex]t)

Cant figure out where to go from here. Please help! Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're making it too complicated. Don't use any trig identities. You know that y1 and y2 are solutions. What does that mean mathematically?

4. Aug 28, 2012 #3
    That their sum should also be a solution by the principle of superposition?

5. Aug 28, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Well, that's what you're supposed to show. :wink:

When you assume ##y_i## is a solution, you can say that
    $$\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}y_i(x,y) = \frac{1}{v^2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2} y_i(x,t),$$ where ##\frac{\omega_i}{k_i} = v##.

So now plug ##y=y_1+y_2## into the lefthand side of the wave equation. You get
    $$\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}y = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}(y_1+y_2)$$ which you can split into two terms because differentiation is a linear operation. What you want to do is keep manipulating the righthand side until you end up with
    $$\frac{1}{v^2} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2}y.$$

6. Aug 29, 2012 #5
    [itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}y = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}(y_1+y_2)[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}y = \frac{\partial^2 y_1}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 y_2}{\partial x^2}[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}y = \frac{1}{v^2}\frac{\partial^2 y_1}{\partial t^2}+\frac{1}{v^2}\frac{\partial^2 y_1}{\partial t^2}[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}y = \frac{1}{v^2}(\frac{\partial^2 y_1}{\partial t^2}+\frac{\partial^2 y_2}{\partial t^2})[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}y= \frac{1}{v^2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2}(y_1+y_2)[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}y = \frac{1}{v^2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2}y[/itex]

Is that all I have to show since I already know that y is a solution to the wave equation and that it is assumed that is obeys that principle of superposition? Thanks again for your time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook