Show the bounds of an integral in LaTeX

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 14K views
kentm
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
Hey I'm typing out my math homework, and I've run into some notation that I'm kind of confused about:

I need to know how to show the bounds of an integral after you've taken the antiderivative. Kind of like this:

Integral (bounds: 0 to 2) of x^2 = [1/3x^3] (0 to 2).

The actual notation might look like this:

--------|2
1/3x^3|
--------|0


Sorry if I have this in the wrong forum; I didn't see any designated for LaTeX.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Something like:

[tex]\int_0^2 x^2 dx = \left[\frac{1}{3} x^3 \right]_0^2[/tex]

Code:
\int_0^2 x^2 dx = \left[\frac{1}{3} x^3 \right]_0^2
 
Okay, now I've got another question:

What if I want to have negative bounds like this:

\int_-3^3?

pdflatex doesn't seem to like that very well.
 
Bound them with curly brackets {..}. What Latex package are you using? Most come with a PDF explaining the simple operations of Latex in the source folder.
 
kentm said:
Okay, now I've got another question:

What if I want to have negative bounds like this:

\int_-3^3?
Compound expressions should be enclosed in curly braces:

\int_{-3}^3 dx

Also, as an alternate answer to your original question, if you just want a long vertical bar try \bigg|

For example,

[tex]\int_{-3}^3 dx = x \bigg|_{-3}^3 = 3 - (-3) = 6[/tex]

(if you think \bigg| looks too big you can drop down a size with \big| )
 
Larne said:
[tex]\int_{-3}^3 dx = x \bigg|_{-3}^3 = 3 - (-3) = 6[/tex]

(if you think \bigg| looks too big you can drop down a size with \big| )

and if you have an expression which is tall enough of itself, you may just want to use left and right;
[tex]\int_{-3}^3 x^2 dx = \left. \frac{1}{3} x^3 \right|_{-3}^3 = \cdots[/tex]
(note the use of the \left. - otherwise LaTeX will complain!)