Show the drift velocity is ExB/B^2

In summary, the conversation discusses the drift velocity of a charged particle in uniform, constant magnetic and electric fields. The equation for the drift velocity is given by vd = (E×B)/B2, and it is assumed that the drift happens in two dimensions. The third dimension does not have a drift component and is not considered in this equation. The definition of drift velocity is the velocity of the charged particle in the two-dimensional plane mentioned, and it is convention to call it drift even though the velocity in the third dimension is not considered a drift.
shedrick94
HW Template missing as it was moved from another forum
A charged particle drifts in uniform, constant magnetic and electric fields. The electric field, E, is perpendicular to the magnetic field, B.

Show that the drift velocity is given by vd = (E×B)/B2

Heres where I get to:
F=e(E+vxB)=0 as v is uniform.Therefore E+vxB=0.

Take vector product of B with both sides.

BxE +Bx(vxB)=0.

Using identity Ax(BxC) = B(A.C)-C(A.B)

I get BxE+v(B.B)-B(B.v)=0
Then I don't know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can assume that the drift happens in two dimensions, so you can say something about the relative direction of v and B which simplifies (B.v).
In three dimensions the total velocity does not have to follow the initial equation, so you need that assumption.

mfb said:
You can assume that the drift happens in two dimensions, so you can say something about the relative direction of v and B which simplifies (B.v).
In three dimensions the total velocity does not have to follow the initial equation, so you need that assumption.
Why are you allowed to assume the drift is in two dimensions though?

The component in the third dimension is not a drift.

mfb said:
The component in the third dimension is not a drift.
Would that be an acceleration then?

A motion in the third direction would stop quickly in matter. In vacuum, the charged particle could freely keep moving in that direction, without influencing the two-dimensional motion in the other directions.

mfb said:
A motion in the third direction would stop quickly in matter. In vacuum, the charged particle could freely keep moving in that direction, without influencing the two-dimensional motion in the other directions.
Can I ask what it means by a drift velocity then?

The velocity in the two-dimensional plane I mentioned.

mfb said:
The velocity in the two-dimensional plane I mentioned.
yes but what does it specifically mean by 'drift'. You said the velocity in the 3rd dimension is not a drift.

I guess it is just convention to call that drift.

1. What is the drift velocity?

The drift velocity is the average velocity of charged particles, such as electrons, in a conductor under the influence of an electric field.

2. How is the drift velocity calculated?

The drift velocity can be calculated using the formula vd = (E/m) * τ, where E is the electric field strength, m is the particle's mass, and τ is the relaxation time between collisions.

3. What is the significance of ExB/B^2 in determining drift velocity?

ExB/B^2 is a term used in the Lorentz force equation to describe the force acting on a charged particle due to both the electric field (E) and the magnetic field (B). The ratio of ExB/B^2 is directly related to the drift velocity of the particle.

4. How does the drift velocity affect the flow of current in a conductor?

The drift velocity is directly proportional to the current in a conductor. As the drift velocity increases, so does the current. This means that a higher electric field will result in a higher drift velocity and a higher current.

5. What factors can affect the drift velocity in a conductor?

The drift velocity can be affected by the strength of the electric field, the mass of the charged particles, and the relaxation time between collisions. Additionally, the presence of impurities in the conductor or external magnetic fields can also impact the drift velocity.