Current density, drift velocity and electric field

In summary: You could also search online for this information. In summary, the conversation discusses the expression for current density and its units, deriving the expression in terms of microscopic quantities, and using the equations to solve for current density, average drift speed, and electric field strength in a copper wire. The values of n and ρ for copper are not provided but can be found through research.
Mauvai

Homework Statement

A) A current I flows along a straight wire of cross-sectional area A. If the unit vector I denotes the direction of current flow, write down the expression for the current density J (assuming it to be uniform throughout the wire ) and give its SI units.

B) (This isn't really relevant) The expression for J obtained in part (a) is in terms of the macroscopic quantities I and A. Now derive the corresponding expression in terms of microscopic quantities, namely J = n q vd, where n is the number of charge carriers per unit volume, q is the charge carried by each charge carrier, and vd is the average drift velocity of the charge carriers.
Verify that the SI units of n q vd agree with the units for ~J in part (a)

C) A current of 0.5 A flows in a copper wire of cross-sectional area 0.3 mm2.
(i) Calculate the current density in the wire.
(ii) Calculate the average drift speed of the charge carriers.
(iii) Calculate the electric eld strength in the wire using the
formula E =  ρJ where ρ is the resistivity.

Homework Equations

J = I/A
J = nqvd
E = ρJ

The Attempt at a Solution

First few bits are easy - current density is I/A, units A/m2

Proof is standard: I/A = nqV/A where V is volume, n is charges per volume.
V/A = Δx, and Δx/t is vd ⇔ J = nqvd

c(i) easy, fill in formula - j = 530500 Am-2
c(ii) this is where the problems start - again its easy, fill in the formula, but i have not been given the value of n (q is standard, 1.602x10-19)
So my question is, is it possible to find vd without n? is there an alternate way of working it out?
c(iii) same as c(ii) but with ρ - that wasn't provided either.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mauvai said:
Proof is standard: I/A = nqV/A where V is volume, n is charges per volume.
V/A = Δx, and Δx/t is vd ⇔ J = nqvd
The equation I/A = nqV/A is not correct. There needs to be a time interval t in the denominator on the right-hand side.

Mauvai said:
c(i) easy, fill in formula - j = 530500 Am-2
I don't get this result. I get j = I/A = 0.5 A/( 0.3 mm2) = 0.5 A/(0.3 x 10-6 m2) = 1.7 x 106 A/m2

Mauvai said:
c(ii) this is where the problems start - again its easy, fill in the formula, but i have not been given the value of n (q is standard, 1.602x10-19)
So my question is, is it possible to find vd without n? is there an alternate way of working it out?
c(iii) same as c(ii) but with ρ - that wasn't provided either.
Thanks!

You are probably expected to look up n and ρ for copper. Many textbooks have tables that list these for different materials.

1. What is current density?

Current density is a measure of the amount of electric current flowing through a unit area. It is expressed in units of amperes per square meter (A/m²).

2. How is current density related to drift velocity?

Current density is directly proportional to drift velocity, which is the average velocity of charge carriers in a material in response to an electric field. As drift velocity increases, so does current density.

3. How does electric field affect current density?

Electric field is directly proportional to current density. A stronger electric field will result in a higher current density, while a weaker electric field will result in a lower current density.

4. What factors influence drift velocity?

The drift velocity of charge carriers is influenced by the strength of the electric field, the density of charge carriers in the material, and the material's resistivity. It is also affected by temperature, as an increase in temperature can result in more collisions between charge carriers and slower drift velocity.

5. How is current density calculated?

Current density can be calculated by dividing the total current by the cross-sectional area through which the current is flowing. It can also be calculated using Ohm's Law, where current density is equal to the applied electric field divided by the material's resistivity.