1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show there's a sequence whose limit is its infimum

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    question:

Suppose ## S \subset \mathbb{R} ## is a nonempty subset of the real numbers that is bounded below.

Show that there exists a sequence ## <x_n> ## such that ## x_n \in S ## for all n and ## \lim (x_n) = inf(S) ##

attempt:

consider an element ## x \in S ## suppose ## x \geq inf(S) + 1/n ## then this would mean that inf(S) is not the greatest lower bound and inf(s) + 1/n is so ## x < inf S + 1/n ## ## \forall n \in \mathbb{N} ## take ## n_1 < n_2 < n_3 < n_4 ... ## then ## x_1 < inf(S) + 1/n_{1} ## and ## x_2 < inf(S) + 1/n_{2} ## and so on so we get a sequence ## inf(S) \leq x_n ... < x_3 < x_2 < x_1 ## hence as n increases 1/n approaches zero (proved already) and x_n approaches inf(S).

Is this all correct as in the solutions all they have stated is:

## inf(S) \leq x_n < inf(S) + 1/n ## and inf(s) + 1/n -> inf(S) so such a sequence exists, I don't understand that

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2
    alternatively couldn't I say as ## inf(s) \leq x_n < inf(S) + 1/n ## ##lim inf(S) = inf(S)## and##lim (inf(S) + 1/n) = inf(S) ## therefore by the sandwich theorem x_n approaches inf(S) also?

4. Oct 22, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You sort of have the idea but that is a very hard to read and over-complicated explanation. To clean it up, you might start by calling ##I = \inf(S)## so you don't have to keep writing it. Then by the definition of ##\inf(S)## you can say that for each natural number ##n## there is a point ##x_n\in S## in the interval ##(I,I+\frac 1 n)##. Then argue that ##x_n\rightarrow I##.

5. Oct 22, 2013 #4
    ok thank you. Is my argument that x_n -> inf(S) valid though? Or could I use the sandwich theorem?

6. Oct 22, 2013 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Probably so, and yes, you could. Just to make it clear, show me below how you would finish the above argument.

7. Oct 22, 2013 #6
    Make sure your proof works for ##\mathbb{N}##; i.e. take into consideration that ##\inf S## may not be a limit point of ##S\setminus\{\inf S\}##.

8. Oct 23, 2013 #7
    the limit of I is I and the limit of (I + 1/n) (as 1/n -> 0 (which I've proved previously)) and seeing as x_n is 'sandwiched' by I and I + 1/n the limit of x_n is I, hence a sequence <x_n> which has the infimum as it's limit exists

9. Oct 23, 2013 #8
    My other argument would be that if we take ## n_1 < n_2 <n_3 ## and## x_1 < I + 1/n_1## ## x_2 < I + 1/n_2 ## etc then we end up with the sequence ## I \leq x_n <...<x_3<x_2<x_1 < I + 1/n_1 ## and as n approaches infinity then x_n approaches I

10. Oct 23, 2013 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. You should probably use the half closed interval ##[I,I+\frac 1 n)## to select your points to address gopher_p's observation.

11. Oct 23, 2013 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

While you certainly can make a decreasing sequence ##\{x_n\}##, just picking ##x_k < I+\frac 1 {n_k}## doesn't necessarily do it. But it doesn't need to be decreasing anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted