Is Liminf(sn) = -limsup(-sn) for any sequence (s_n)?

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
In summary: A criterion that is equivalent to this (and often much easier to use) is: a finite number ##U## is the ##\limsup## of the sequence ##{\cal S} = \{s_n\}## if and only if for any ##\epsilon > 0## we have ##s_n < U + \epsilon## for all ##n > N(\epsilon)## and ##U - \epsilon < s_n## for some ##s_n \in {\cal S}.## (Of course, the latter implies that ##U - \epsilon < s_n## for infinitely many ##s_n \in {\cal S}.##)
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that ##\lim \inf s_n = - \lim \sup (- s_n)## for any sequence ##(s_n)##, assuming that, for any nonempty set ##S##, ##\inf S = - \sup (-S).##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt at a solution.

Let ##S_N = \{s_n ~|~ n>N \}##. Also, clearly, ##-S_N = \{-s_n ~|~ n>N \}##.
By the information in the hypothesis, it is true that ##\inf S_N = - \sup (-S_N)##. These are sequences which are equal, so their limits must be equal:
##\lim \inf s_n = - \lim \sup (-s_n)##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that ##\lim \inf s_n = - \lim \sup (- s_n)## for any sequence ##(s_n)##, assuming that, for any nonempty set ##S##, ##\inf S = - \sup (-S).##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt at a solution.

Let ##S_N = \{s_n ~|~ n>N \}##. Also, clearly, ##-S_N = \{-s_n ~|~ n>N \}##.
By the information in the hypothesis, it is true that ##\inf S_N = - \sup (-S_N)##. These are sequences which are equal, so their limits must be equal:
##\lim \inf s_n = - \lim \sup (-s_n)##.
I think you missed the intent of the assumption that ##S##, ##\inf S = - \sup (-S).## The lim inf is the the infimum of what set?

tnich said:
I think you missed the intent of the assumption that ##S##, ##\inf S = - \sup (-S).## The lim inf is the the infimum of what set?
I don't really know what you're asking. Where am I going wrong in my proof?

tnich said:

You mean the supremum of what set?

liminf is a limit of decreasing infinums, and for a bounded set converges to a supremum.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I don't really know what you're asking. Where am I going wrong in my proof?
What I am asking you for is the definition of ##lim inf(s_n)## for a sequence ##s_n##. The definition mentions, or at least implies a set.

The problem with your proof is what you have chosen for your set ##S_N##. It doesn't get you any closer to proving anything about a lim inf.

Math_QED said:
You mean the supremum of what set?

liminf is a limit of decreasing infinums, and for a bounded set converges to a supremum.
Yes. Thanks for catching that.

tnich said:
What I am asking you for is the definition of ##lim inf(s_n)## for a sequence ##s_n##. The definition mentions, or at least implies a set.

The problem with your proof is what you have chosen for your set ##S_N##. It doesn't get you any closer to proving anything about a lim inf.
I am using the following as the definition of liminf: ##\lim \inf s_n = \lim_{N \to \infty} \inf \{s_n ~|~ n>N \}##. Does that help clarify?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I am using the following as the definition of liminf: ##\lim \inf s_n = \lim_{N \to \infty} \inf \{s_n ~|~ n>N \}##. Does that help clarify?

Yes. You can actually write this without a limit.

Hint: Assume the sequence is bounded (the unboundef case can be treated separately).

Show that the sequence of infina is increasing. What does this tell you about the limit?

Math_QED said:
Yes. You can actually write this without a limit.

Hint: Assume the sequence is bounded (the unboundef case can be treated separately).

Show that the sequence of infina is increasing. What does this tell you about the limit?
That it converges by the monotone convergence theorem?

Mr Davis 97 said:
OK. I see where you are going, and I think your proof works OK as is.

I am thinking of the definition of lim inf in terms of subsequential limits.

This is one of these questions where every step seems so obvious, it's hard to know how much to write down.

Mr Davis 97 said:

A criterion that is equivalent to this (and often much easier to use) is: a finite number ##U## is the ##\limsup## of the sequence ##{\cal S} = \{s_n\}## if and only if for any ##\epsilon > 0## we have ##s_n < U + \epsilon## for all ##n > N(\epsilon)## and ##U - \epsilon < s_n## for some ##s_n \in {\cal S}.## (Of course, the latter implies that ##U - \epsilon < s_n## for infinitely many ##s_n \in {\cal S}.##)

You can characterize a finite ##\liminf## in a similar way. Then, all you need to do is look at the negatives of the ##s_n##.

Mr Davis 97 said:
That it converges by the monotone convergence theorem?

Yes, convergent with limit the supremum of all the terms in the sequence.

Now, you can use that ##-\sup(-A) = infA## and analoguous formulas to easily show the equality.

1. What is liminf and limsup?

Liminf and limsup refer to the limit inferior and limit superior, respectively. They are concepts used in mathematical analysis to describe the behavior of a sequence of numbers.

2. How is liminf(sn) = -limsup(-sn) related to liminf and limsup?

This equation is a fundamental property of liminf and limsup. It states that the limit inferior of a sequence is equal to the negative of the limit superior of the negated sequence. In other words, the behavior of a sequence and its negation are related in a specific way.

3. What does it mean for liminf(sn) to equal -limsup(-sn)?

This equation means that the limit inferior and limit superior of the original sequence and its negation are equal. It also suggests that the sequence has a well-defined limit if and only if its negation does as well.

4. How is liminf(sn) = -limsup(-sn) used in mathematical analysis?

This equation is used in various proofs and theorems in mathematical analysis. For example, it can be used to show that a sequence converges if and only if its limit inferior and limit superior are equal.

5. Are there any exceptions to the equation liminf(sn) = -limsup(-sn)?

Yes, there are some cases where this equation may not hold. For example, if the sequence is not bounded, the limit inferior and limit superior may not exist, making the equation invalid. Additionally, if the sequence is not well-behaved, such as oscillating or diverging, the equation may not hold.