1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show this silly function is Riemann-integrable and find the integral

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See the title. The silly function in question is f:[0,1]-->R with f(x)=0 if x is irrational, and f(x)=1/q if x is rational and of the form x=p/q where p and q have no common factor.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm like 100% sure that I must show it is integrable by showing that the set of discontinuities is of measure zero and the natural assumption is that this set of discontinuities is the rationals in [0,1], but how do I show that?

I feel there is something I am missing about the p/q representation thing. If f is continuous on the irrational, then it must be that given an e>0 and an irrational y, there is a little disk around it y such that all rationals in that disk have 1/q<e. How come???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2
    How many rationals are there in an interval?

4. Sep 20, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, if y is irrational and you are given e>0, let Q be an integer such that Q>1/e. Now let S be the set of rationals {p/q} where q<=Q. S is a finite set. So let the radius of the disk be delta=inf(|y-S|)>0.

5. Sep 20, 2007 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is ingenious!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?