1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show using the intermediate value theorem

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    Use the Intermediate Value Theorem to show that there is a cylinder of height h and radius less than r whose volume is equal to that of a cone of height h and radius r.
    IVT states that: if f is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and k is any number between f(a) and f(b), inclusive, then there is at least one number x in the interval [a,b] such that f(x)=k.
    The volume of the cylinder is [tex] \pi x^2h[/tex] and the volume of the cone is [tex]\frac{\pi}{3} r^2h[/tex], where x< r. If r > x then, the curve [tex] \frac{\pi}{3} r^2h[/tex] is streched more than the curve [tex] \pi x^2h[/tex], i.e it is closer to the y-axis than the curve [\pi x^2h[/tex], so I cannot find k. And is not a<0 and b>r? Then f(a)<0 and f(b)>f(r)?I am studing this on my own. Please help. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2
    I dont see how y=x^2/3 is closer to the y axis than y=x^2? It's the other way around

and if you haven't solved the problem,
    look at the interval [0,r]

4. Sep 30, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As you say, a cone of height h and radius r has volume [itex]\frac{1}{3}\pi r^2 h[/itex].

What is the volume of a cylinder of height h and radius 0? What is the volume of a cylinder of height h and radius r? Now, what does the intermediate value theorem tell you?

5. Oct 1, 2009 #4
    The volume of the cylinder is 0 and [tex] \pi r^2h [/tex] respectively. I think you mean that f(a)=0 and [tex]f(b)= \pi r^2h [/tex]. In that case surely there is an infinite number of values that k can have between f(a) and f(b). But we only want one value of k such that the volume of the cylinder equals the volume of the cone. I just don't understand yet.

6. Oct 1, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, there are an infinite number of values between 0 and [itex]\pi h r^2[/itex].

And one of them is [itex](1/3)\pi h r^2[/itex]!

The intermediate value theorem tells you that as [itex]\rho[/itex] goes from 0 to r [itex]\pi h \rho^2[/itex] takes on all values between 0 and [itex]\pi h r^2[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook