1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show wave equations for E & B consistent with potentials

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There are a couple of introductory questions that aren't relevant to the last parts then it says:

(d) If the current density is time independent and divergence free, show that the Maxwell Equations separate into independent equations for E and B.

(e) Express E in terms of the electrostatic potential φ, and B in terms of the vector potential A. Show that the equations in question (d) are satisfied when (in Coulomb Gauge) φ and A satisfy Poisson equations. Write down those equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have (with some help) figured out (d) and I got a homogeneous wave equation for B and an inhomogeneous wave equation for E (the inhomogeneity created by a ∇(ρ/ε) term).

However subbing in A and φ for B and E leads only to mess, I have no idea how to simplify it. I looked through a list of identities, but they were no help. I need to find a way to rearrange it so that I can make use of properties like the Coulomb Gauge and Poisson's equation, but I'm not sure how.

Any help would be great, thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you show me the mess you are getting, I'll be better able to help you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?