Showing a composition is isomorphic

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Composition
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the composition of two isomorphisms, S and T, is also an isomorphism. The idea is to use the properties of linearity to show that TS satisfies the axioms, such as TS(u_1+u_2) = T(S(u_1)+S(u_2)). The conversation also mentions the use of inverses, S-1 and T-1, and obtaining the identity transformation "I" by multiplying TS by S-1T-1. It is also clarified that V and W are vector spaces.
trap101
Prove that if S: U-->V and T: V-->W are isomorphisms, then TS (composition) is also an isomorphism.

Idea: So my idea was since both S, T are both isomorphic that means they both have inverses S-1 and T-1. Now this is where I'm a little grey, in order to show that TS is isomorphic, is it enough for me to obtain the identity transformation "I" by multiplying the composition TS through by S-1T-1, based on the properties of linearity?

TS = S-1T-1(TS) = S-1S = I ? or would I have to show the existence of (TS)-1? and if so how?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would just go through and show that TS satisfies the axioms. For example, [itex]TS(u_1+u_2) = T(S(u_1)+S(u_2))[/itex] and so on. BTW, what are V and W?

Robert1986 said:
I would just go through and show that TS satisfies the axioms. For example, [itex]TS(u_1+u_2) = T(S(u_1)+S(u_2))[/itex] and so on. BTW, what are V and W?

Thanks. V and W are vector spaces

What is an isomorphism in a composition?

An isomorphism in a composition is a function that preserves the structure and properties of the original composition. In other words, it is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of two compositions that maintains the same relationships and operations.

How do you show that two compositions are isomorphic?

To show that two compositions are isomorphic, you must first establish a bijective function between the two compositions. This function must preserve the operations and relationships of the original compositions. Then, you can demonstrate that the function is indeed bijective by showing that it is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto).

Why is it important to show that a composition is isomorphic?

Showing that a composition is isomorphic is important because it allows us to establish a direct relationship between two seemingly different compositions. This can help us understand the underlying structure and properties of the compositions, and can also allow us to transfer knowledge and techniques between the two.

What are some common techniques for proving isomorphism?

Some common techniques for proving isomorphism include constructing a bijective function between the two compositions, establishing an isomorphism through a series of smaller isomorphisms, and using algebraic or geometric properties to demonstrate that the compositions are isomorphic.

Can two compositions be isomorphic if they have different structures?

No, two compositions cannot be isomorphic if they have different structures. Isomorphism requires a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of two compositions, and if the structures are different, the elements will not match up. However, two compositions can be isomorphic even if they have different representations or notations.