1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing a function converges uniformly

1. Nov 16, 2013 #1
    let fn(x) = n/(1+n2x2) - (n-1)/(1+(n-1)2x2) in the interval 0<x< L

I am trying to show that this series converges uniformly.

I have solved that the sum of the series from n=1 to n = N is:

N/(1+N2x)

now by definition a series converges uniformly if:

max (a≤x≤b) |f(x) - Sn(x)| ---> 0 as N-->∞

my issue is that in the solution example they provided in the textbook they said the series does not uniformly converge because:

max(0,L) 1/(1+N2x2) = N

how did they get 1/(1+N2x2) from the definition of uniform convergence? What is it that I am not interpreting right to get a solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On what interval? Are you sure you stated the interval correctly? Was it [a,L) for any a between 0 and L and you restated it (0,L)?

That isn't true on (0,L). It's true on [0,L]. On (0,L) is is a sup, not a max.

I don't know where those last two lines came from. And I would like to see the exact statement of the problem. I don't believe it is true as you have stated it.

4. Nov 16, 2013 #3

You were right in terms of the interval supposed to be closed on [0,L] as well as the exact definition of uniform convergence I just didn't communicate it correctly. If I polished up on my latex it would be easier for me to restate. I attached a jpeg of the question and statement that is confusing me so you can see the exact question.

Attached Files:

5. Nov 16, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That last equation$$
    \max_{(0,L)}\frac 1 {1+N^2x^2}=N$$obviously has typos and should read$$
    \max_{[0,L]}\frac N {1+N^2x^2}=N$$

6. Nov 16, 2013 #5

I'm still having issues with how they got N, because are we not evaluating the difference between f(x) and the sum of the series? I don't see how that difference translates into just N.

7. Nov 16, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, maybe they meant to write$$
    \sup_{(0,L)}\frac N {1+N^2x^2}=N$$The point is that although you have pointwise convergence to ##0## it is not uniform because the larger N is the bigger the sum is near zero. You can't uniformly bound the sum near 0 no matter how large N is.

8. Nov 16, 2013 #7

Ahhhh, now I see. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted