1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing a function in R2 is unbounded (no least upper bound)

1. Nov 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that this function has no absolute max by showing that it is unbounded

2. Relevant equations
    f(x,y) = (x-1)^2 + (y+2)^2 -4

3. The attempt at a solution
    my initial idea is to construct a sequence of points {(xk, yk)} so that the sequence {f(xk, yk)} becomes unbounded.

to show that : Let M=f(x,y)
    ∨M>0 ∃xk, yk s.t xk,yk∉ B(M,(1,-2)). This issue i have is determining an adequate sequence of values to use.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Observe that [itex]f(x,y) \geq (x - 1)^2 -4[/itex]. Is that bounded above?

4. Nov 5, 2014 #3
    I'm assuming by f(x,y) you're referring to the original equation and no it isn't bounded above. I'm sorry, i have a feeling i'm supposed to make some intellectual leap with that example,but im still somewhat lost.

5. Nov 5, 2014 #4
    Actually, i noticed that you reduced it to a single variable? To what end?

6. Nov 5, 2014 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

If [itex](x - 1)^2 - 4[/itex] is not bounded above, and [itex]f(x,y) \geq (x-1)^2 -4[/itex], can it be the case that [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] is bounded above?

7. Nov 5, 2014 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps this will help, but I'm not sure:

Can you think of any function (even of a single variable) that is not bounded above?

8. Nov 5, 2014 #7
    f(x,y) = X^2 for instance, For the sake of a concrete proof. Would it be sufficient to say that if f(x) is unbounded and f(x,y) >f(x) then f(x,y) is also unbounded. Seems incomplete, or have we just skimmed the surface in terms of reasoning?

9. Nov 5, 2014 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, so you know that ##f(x) = x^2## is not bounded above. What about ##f(x) = (x-1)^2##? Not bounded above?

10. Nov 6, 2014 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The sequence or points (1, 1), (2, 2), ...., (n, n) for any integer n leaps out at you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted