Showing a localization is a principal ideal domain (non-trivial problem)

• Thread starter ttzhou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the author tried to use First Isomorphism Theorem to show that R_D is a field, but ran into a counterexample by taking R to be the integers and noting that every prime is small in the integers. He then suggests another approach, of showing that R is an ED. He provides no details.
ttzhou

Homework Statement

Let [itex]R[/itex] be an integral domain. Say a prime [itex]p \in R[/itex] is small if [itex]a\in\bigcap\limits _{n=1}^{\infty}\left\langle p^{n}\right\rangle = \left\langle 0\right\rangle[/itex]

Show that if [itex]p[/itex] is a small prime and [itex]D = R \setminus \left\langle p\right\rangle[/itex] then [itex]R_D[/itex] is a principal ideal domain.

Homework Equations

Some basic facts... ED implies PID, field implies PID, PID implies UFD. Localization is a PID if R is a PID, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using First Isomorphism Theorem to show [itex]R_D[/itex] is a field; I quickly shot this down with a counterexample by taking R to be the integers, and since every prime is small in the integers, taking p = 2 shows that 2/3 in the localization has no inverse.

The only other approach I can think of that can be used when I know squat about the ring is to show it is an ED. But I can't find a valid Euclidean function.

Any ideas? I don't want solutions, obviously... just a tiny hint to push me in a promising direction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, can you show that an element x that is not invertible in [itex]R_D[/itex] can be written as py.

In general, can you show that if x is not invertible, then it can be written as [itex]p^ny[/itex] with y invertible.

Thank you for the hint! Will see where it takes me.

I think I have a proof involving finite descent; I eventually show that any ideal I is either equal to the ideal generated by some power of p (with 1 in the denominator), or we reach the point where the ideal generated by p is contained in I. Since I was able to show any proper ideal must be contained in (p), I am done... That is, any ideal is of the form (p^n) or the ring itself.

Sry for the lack of LaTex, I'm typing on a tablet.

Was there a more elegant approach?

That's indeed what I had in mind.

Thanks very much, your hint was very concise and well chosen. All the best.

I am still confused. Could you please explain it in steps?

msg me if you want some hints

Last edited by a moderator:
or micromass for that matter, he was the architect

arya1234 said:
I am still confused. Could you please explain it in steps?

You will have to show us what you tried. Did you prove my post #2?

1. What is a principal ideal domain (PID)?

A principal ideal domain is a type of ring in abstract algebra where every ideal can be generated by a single element. In other words, every ideal in a PID can be written as a multiple of a single element in the ring.

2. Why is showing a localization is a PID considered a non-trivial problem?

Showing that a localization is a PID is considered non-trivial because it requires proving several different properties, such as unique factorization and the existence of a greatest common divisor, in the specific context of the localization. This can be a complex and challenging task.

3. What is a localization?

A localization is a way of creating a new ring from an existing ring by inverting certain elements. In the context of showing a localization is a PID, the localization is typically done with respect to a prime ideal in the original ring.

4. How is the concept of a principal ideal related to the concept of a principal ideal domain?

While a principal ideal is a type of ideal in any ring, a principal ideal domain is a specific type of ring where every ideal is principal. In other words, a PID is a ring where every ideal can be generated by a single element, or in other words, is a principal ideal. This is a stronger condition than just having some principal ideals in the ring.

5. What are some examples of principal ideal domains?

Some common examples of principal ideal domains include the integers, polynomial rings over a field, and the ring of Gaussian integers. More generally, every Euclidean domain is also a PID.