1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing A Subset of the Product Space ##Y \times Y## is Open

1. Dec 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##Y## be some order spaced endowed with the order topology, and let ##P = \{(x,y) \in Y \times Y ~|~ x < y \}##. I would like to show that ##P## is open in ##Y \times Y##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let us momentarily assume that ##Y## has neither a smallest nor largest element. In this case, the basis elements for the product topology are of the form ##(a,b) \times (c,d)##, where ##(a,b)## is an open interval in ##Y##.

Let ##\langle x,y \rangle## be some point in ##P \subseteq Y \times Y##. ##x,y \in Y##, there exists basis elements ##(a,b)## and ##(c,d)## such that ##x \in (a,b)## and ##y \in (c,d)##. Now, if there is an element ##e## between ##x## and ##y##, we can "readjust" the basis elements to obtain ##(a,e)## and ##(e,d)##, and clearly every element ##(a,e)## is smaller than every element in ##(e,d)##. Hence, ##\langle x,y \rangle \in (a,e) \times (e,d) \subseteq P##.

Now, suppose that there is no element between them. Then ##(a,y)## will contain ##x## and ##(x,d)## will contain ##y##. Again, it isn't difficult to see that every element the latter set is smaller than every element in the former set. In either case, we can conclude that ##P## is open.

Does this sound right? I suspect that the when ##Y## has a smallest or largest element the proof will be very similar. If so, I will omit it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I believe your argument for this case also works when there is an intervening element.
    From a quick reading of the subject (never met it before) you can suppose a basis consisting of open "rays" (-∞, x), (x, ∞). I assume the infinities represent min and max elements if they exist. So you might be able to write one argument that covers all cases.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  4. Dec 3, 2016 #3
    Are you sure? I need an open set about ##U_x## about ##x## and an open set ##U_y## about ##y## such that everything in ##U_x## is strictly smaller than everything in ##U_y##. If I choose the sets I did above and there is an intervening element won't we have ##e < e##, which is a problem. I am sorry; I am not thinking clearly at the moment, and its pretty noisy where I am.

In my book, basis elements for the order topology are defined as ##(a,b)##, ##[a_0,b)##, where ##a_0## is the smallest element (if it exists), and ##(a,b_0]##, where ##b_0## is the largest element (if it exists). But I think you are right that we can knock out all cases by just looking at ##(-\infty, a)## and ##(a,\infty)## and letting the infinities represent the largest/smallest elements or finite elements. , since the mechanics of the proof will be the same in each case. I would like verification, of course.

5. Dec 3, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are right, and thinking more clearly than I am.

6. Dec 4, 2016 #5
    Okay, I think I may have made progress towards slightly more understanding. In my textbook, it is shown that elements of the form ##(a, \infty)## and ##(- \infty, a)## form a subbasis for the order topology, and a subbasis generates the topology through arbitrary unions of finite intersections of subbasis elements; i..e., letting ##\mathcal{S}## denote the set of all open rays, then a open set will be of the form ##\bigcup_{i \in I} S_i##, where ##S_i## is a finite intersection of elements in ##\mathcal{S}##. So you are right that we can just look at these open rays.

This actually helps with another problem I am working on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted