Determine all of the open sets in given product topology

In summary, a product topology is a way to combine the individual topologies of multiple spaces to create a new topology on the product space. Open sets in this topology are defined as unions of products of open sets from the individual spaces and have specific characteristics, including being closed under finite intersections and arbitrary unions. To determine all open sets, one can identify the individual topologies, choose a basis for each, and use the Cartesian product to generate all possible open sets. In simpler cases, such as with a discrete or trivial topology, determining open sets can be easier.
sa1988

Homework Statement

##X = \{1,2,3\}## , ##\sigma = \big\{\emptyset , \{1,2\}, \{1,2,3\} \big\}##, topology ##\{X, \sigma\}##
##Y = \{4,5\}## , ##\tau = \big\{\emptyset , \{4\}, \{4,5\} \big\}##, topology ##\{Y, \tau\}##
##Z = \{2,3\} \subset X##

Find all the open sets in the subspace topology on ##Z## and determine all the open sets in the product topology on ##Z \times Y##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
As with previous threads, I'm hoping I'm on the right track. Just looking to check my answers.

Subspace topology on ##Z##, ##\sigma_z = \big\{\emptyset , \{2\}, \{2, 3\} \big\}##

Product topology is generated by basis ##\{ U \times V : U \in \sigma_z , V \in \tau \}##

Thus the product topology on ##Z \times Y## should be created from basis:

##\beta = \big\{\emptyset, \{(2,4)\}, \{(2,4),(2,5)\}, \{(2,4),(2,5),(3,4),(3,5)\}, \{(4,2)\}, \{(4,2),(4,3)\}, \{(4,2),(5,2)\}, \{(4,2),(4,3),(5,2),(5,3)\}\big\} ##

Thus all the open sets in the product topology on ##Z \times Y## are found in the union of all sets of basis elements in ##\beta## , plus the empty set:

## \Big\{\big( \cup U_\lambda \big)## ## \forall## ## U_\lambda \subset \beta\Big\} \cup \{\emptyset\}##

Is this all okay? Thanks.

(Many topology threads incoming - this subject is definitely my kryptonite)

Physics news on Phys.org
The subspace topology of ##Z## has a basis with two non-empty sets, and the topology of ##Y## has a basis with two non-empty sets. So the product basis must have ##2\times 2=4## sets. The above list for ##\beta## has seven elements, so cannot be correct. Notice also that the first component of an element of the product set comes from ##Z##, which does not contain ##4##, yet the above list includes open sets containing elements whose first component is ##4##, so they cannot be from ##Z\times Y##.

To get the basis of the product topology, just write out the four elements of the Cartesian product of the two bases.

Likes sa1988
andrewkirk said:
The subspace topology of ##Z## has a basis with two non-empty sets, and the topology of ##Y## has a basis with two non-empty sets. So the product basis must have ##2\times 2=4## sets. The above list for ##\beta## has seven elements, so cannot be correct. Notice also that the first component of an element of the product set comes from ##Z##, which does not contain ##4##, yet the above list includes open sets containing elements whose first component is ##4##, so they cannot be from ##Z\times Y##.

To get the basis of the product topology, just write out the four elements of the Cartesian product of the two bases.

Ah ok, I think I see where I went wrong. For reasons unknown to me, I took the products ##Z \times Y## and ##Y \times Z##

Second attempt, I'd go for:

##\beta = \big\{ \{(2,4)\}, \{(2,4),(2,5)\}, \{(2,4), (3,4)\}, \{(2,4),(2,5),(3,4),(3,5)\}\big\}##

And then the open sets in that product topology are all possible unions of all possible subsets of ##\beta##, along with the empty set.

Yes, that looks right!

Likes sa1988

1. What is a product topology?

A product topology is a type of topology that is defined on the Cartesian product of two or more topological spaces. It is a way to combine the individual topologies of each space to create a new topology on the product space.

2. How is an open set defined in a product topology?

In a product topology, an open set is defined as a set that can be expressed as a union of products of open sets from the individual spaces. In other words, it is a set that can be written as a combination of open intervals or open balls in each of the individual spaces.

3. What are the characteristics of open sets in a product topology?

Open sets in a product topology have the following characteristics:

• They are unions of products of open sets from the individual spaces
  • They are closed under finite intersections
  • They are closed under arbitrary unions
  • They contain the empty set and the entire product space

4. How can I determine all of the open sets in a given product topology?

To determine all of the open sets in a product topology, you can follow these steps:

1. Identify the individual topologies of each space in the product
  2. Choose a basis for each individual topology
  3. Construct the product basis by taking the Cartesian product of the individual bases
  4. Use this product basis to generate all possible open sets in the product topology

5. Are there any special cases in which determining open sets in a product topology is easier?

Yes, if the individual spaces in the product have a simple topology, such as the discrete or trivial topology, then determining the open sets in the product topology is relatively straightforward. Additionally, if the product space has a finite number of individual spaces, then determining open sets can be simplified by breaking down the problem into smaller parts.