Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Showing all solutions to a cubic equation

1. Aug 1, 2016 #1
    I am solving the following problem: Find all real x such that ##x^3 + 3x^2 + 3x = 1##

I complete the cube by adding 1 to both sides, and get that ##(x + 1)^3 = 2## then ##x = 2^{1/3} - 1##

What I'm asking is how can I be sure that I have found all real solutions? What if there are other solutions?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2016 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Do you know a formula to find the factors of x^3 - a^3 ?

4. Aug 1, 2016 #3
    Ah, I see. If we factor it this way then we can find the other two complex conjugate roots, which means that with one real root and two complex roots, we have found all of the solutions since it is a cubic equation. However, finding the first root the way I did, how can I be sure that that is the only real solution, and that the other two are complex? Is the only way to show this through factoring the difference of the cubes like you said?

5. Aug 1, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

(x+1)3 in the real numbers is monotonous, the equation has to have exactly one real solution.

If the formula is more complex, you need more powerful tools to look for solutions.

6. Aug 1, 2016 #5

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Here you can apply x^3 -a^3 = (x-a)(x^2 + ax + a^2). You immediately see that this only has one real solution because x^2 + ax + a^2 has a negative discriminant -3a^2, so there is only one real solution.

7. Aug 1, 2016 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let a be the known solution. You can use synthetic division (original cubic divided by x-a) to get a quadratic for the other 2 solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted