Showing energy is expectation of the Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses using the time-independent Schrodinger equation to show that the energy level of a harmonic oscillator can be expressed in terms of the expectation values of momentum and position. The participants also discuss using ladder operators to solve the problem and express P ± imωX in terms of these operators. Finally, the conversation ends with the participant understanding how to solve the problem using ladder operators.
Unredeemed

Homework Statement

The vector [itex]\psi =\psi_{n}[/itex] is a normalized eigenvector for the energy level [itex]E=E_{n}=(n+\frac{1}{2})\hbar\omega [/itex] of the harmonic oscillator with Hamiltonian [itex]H=\frac{P^{2}}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}X^{2}[/itex]. Show that:

[itex]E=\frac{\mathbb{E}_{\psi}[P^{2}]}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}\mathbb{E}_{\psi}[X^{2}][/itex]

Homework Equations

Time independent Schrodinger: [itex]H\psi=E\psi[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I wrong in thinking it's as simple as taking the expectation of both sides? I feel like I must be as that gives [itex]\mathbb{E}_{\psi}[E]=\frac{\mathbb{E}_{\psi}[P^{2}]}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}\mathbb{E}_{\psi}[X^{2}][/itex] which isn't quite right.

But I can't see how else I'd do it?

Thanks for your help in advance!

EDIT: I believe the extra information is needed to answer the rest of the question (this is just part 1).

Physics news on Phys.org
Unredeemed said:
[itex]\mathbb{E}_{\psi}[E]=\frac{\mathbb{E}_{\psi}[P^{2}]}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}\mathbb{E}_{\psi}[X^{2}][/itex]
I guess you mean (using your notation)
$$
\mathbb{E}_{\psi}[H]=\frac{\mathbb{E}_{\psi}[P^{2}]}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}\mathbb{E}_{\psi}[X^{2}]
$$

I would start from ##E = \mathbb{E}_{\psi}[H]## and develop the right-hand-side until the desired result (the equation just above) is obtained.

Indeed, taking the EV of both sides is the solution.
Disturbingly simple ;>) .

We're then asked to show by considering [itex]<\psi\mid (P\pm im\omega X)^{k}\psi>[/itex] for k=1,2 and using orthogonality properties of eigenvectors that:

[itex]\mathbb{E}_{\psi}(P)=0=\mathbb{E}_{\psi}(X)[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{E}_{\psi}(P^{2})=m^{2}\omega^{2}\mathbb{E}_{\psi}(X^{2})=mE[/itex]

I've shown that [itex](P-im\omega X)*=P+im\omega X[/itex] and I can see that [itex]<\psi\mid (P- im\omega X)\psi>=\mathbb{E}_{\psi}(P)-im\omega\mathbb{E}_{\psi}(X)[/itex] etc.

But I really can't see how to get to the answer?

Am I supposed to show that [itex]<\psi\mid (P- im\omega X)\psi>=0=<\psi\mid (P+ im\omega X)\psi>[/itex]? Because I can't seem to do that...

Have you seen ladder operators?

Not yet. But they do come in the next chapter of the notes?

Then I don't get how you're supposed to solve the problem. Which textbook are you using?

It's my university notes - we could well have to use ladder operators to solve this. In the past we've occasionally had questions that can only be covered with material from the next chapter. What in specific should I be looking for with regard to ladder operators?

You should be able to express ##P \pm i m \omega X## in terms of the ladder operators. Once this is done, you can figure out what ##(P \pm i m \omega X) \left| \psi \right\rangle## does, keeping in mind that ##\psi## is actually ##\psi_n##.

I've got it! Thanks very much.

1. What is the Hamiltonian in physics?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used in physics to represent the total energy of a system. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of all particles in the system.

2. How does the Hamiltonian relate to energy?

The Hamiltonian is the expectation value of the system's energy. This means that it represents the average energy of the system over time.

3. How is energy shown as an expectation of the Hamiltonian?

The expectation value of energy is calculated by taking the average of all the possible outcomes of a measurement of the Hamiltonian. This shows the most likely energy of the system at a given time.

4. Why is showing energy as an expectation of the Hamiltonian important?

This concept is important in quantum mechanics as it allows for the prediction of the behavior of a system based on its energy. It also shows the relationship between energy and time in a dynamic system.

5. How is the Hamiltonian used in real-world applications?

The Hamiltonian is used in a variety of fields, including quantum mechanics, classical mechanics, and thermodynamics. It is used to study the behavior of systems ranging from atoms to galaxies and is a fundamental tool in understanding the laws of physics.